New Luk clutch at 58k , Sticky 5th

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
My 03 Rubi had the clutch go at 58,000.

The main sign was a smell and sticky shifts, notably hard to get out of gear.

No prior issues or abuse, not ran long after this appeared and shifted very gently. Essentially driven to shop.

All is good except it takes a good tug to get out of 5th, and a lighter pedal.

Any ideas why it is hard to get out of 5th?

Thanks
Andy

This is a guess, but i wonder if my failing clutch generated a lot of heat that cooked the fluid....it only has 5000 miles on it maybe but it looked like old tea or something. Man it feels good now.

Its
What fluid were you running before the new stuff?
a long story, but something a whiz formulated for the NV3550, that is good with Synchro issues, that I don’t have any way. It never impressed me as much as the Synchromesh, so I’m staying with that ....even tried redline, but nothing has beaten the valvoline in my 03.

Its

a long story, but something a whiz formulated for the NV3550, that is good with Synchro issues, that I don’t have any way. It never impressed me as much as the Synchromesh, so I’m staying with that ....even tried redline, but nothing has beaten the valvoline in my 03.

The only reason I asked is based on the color and complaints, it almost sounds like you got a non-yellow metal safe gl5 derivative in there. Any way about it gotta love that Synchromesh, glad its good now.

Reactions: AndyG
The only reason I asked is based on the color and complaints, it almost sounds like you got a non-yellow metal safe gl5 derivative in there. Any way about it gotta love that Synchromesh, glad its good now.
Im with ya, and that was a concern, he swore it was....but i will never experiment for no good reason again.

I’m very relieved.