New Manifold Cost? SOLVED

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Anyone know the going rates for a new exhaust manifold for a TJR (incl labor)?

Ripped a chunk of mine out trying to get the shitty upper O2 sensor out.

008C9439-1569-407D-88F3-5EF5D1D7935C.jpeg

Called the dealer - they don't carry OEM manifolds for the 4.0L anymore. All of the aftermarket manifolds have shitty reviews.

Does anyone here happen to know which aftermarket manifold would sit at the top of th turd pile?

Got quoted 588 in labor (minimum), but like I mentioned above - they do not sell OEM manifolds anymore, so I don't know what to do right now.

You must be a west coaster....high labor rates. Should be about 4 hours without any stud work. Your best bet in aftermarket will probably be a Dorman. Are you planning on replacing both manifolds?

Reactions: jeep_boss
Local junk yards or find someone parting out a TJ.

We don't have typical junk yards in Seattle. Not that I'd have several hours during business hours anyhow to pull parts if we did.

You must be a west coaster....high labor rates. Should be about 4 hours without any stud work. Your best bet in aftermarket will probably be a Dorman. Are you planning on replacing both manifolds?
Rock auto has the omix-ada for $131 ea...say that is OEM replacement

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...0906,exhaust+&+emission,exhaust+manifold,5860

Haven't had good luck with Dorman, but I am not sure if they would be any better or worse than the Omix?

I'll just go the Dorman route. I'm not a fan of buying used parts sight unseen, I've been burned too many times from so called reputable dealers on junk parts.

No one that I have contacted for used manifolds does express shipping anyhow. I commute 100+ miles M-F and have a serious electrical maintenance issue pending in my M3 (had to cancel my appointment yesterday because of this manifold issue, leaving me with a single vehicle again).

If I keep this Jeep (long shot at this point) I should probably gear up for buying two sets, manifold cracking seems to be pretty common, and parts are getting sky high - I can also see them disappearing around the time the new ones fall apart.

I'm pretty exhausted trying to keep this thing on the road.

Reactions: Chris
I'll just go the Dorman route. I'm not a fan of buying used parts sight unseen, I've been burned too many times from so called reputable dealers on junk parts.

No one that I have contacted for used manifolds does express shipping anyhow. I commute 100+ miles M-F and have a serious electrical maintenance issue pending in my M3 (had to cancel my appointment yesterday because of this manifold issue, leaving me with a single vehicle again).

If I keep this Jeep (long shot at this point) I should probably gear up for buying two sets, manifold cracking seems to be pretty common, and parts are getting sky high - I can also see them disappearing around the time the new ones fall apart.

I'm pretty exhausted trying to keep this thing on the road.

I was going to say, you seem to have more problems than most of us, huh? That's so odd, because my Jeep never gives me issues, neither did any of my past Jeeps. Then again, I'm only driving it on the weekends, and you're driving it much more from what I can tell.

I don't blame you for going the Dorman route though, this is probably what I would do as well.

I was going to say, you seem to have more problems than most of us, huh? That's so odd, because my Jeep never gives me issues, neither did any of my past Jeeps. Then again, I'm only driving it on the weekends, and you're driving it much more from what I can tell.

I don't blame you for going the Dorman route though, this is probably what I would do as well.

I live in between my 9-5 and the mountain areas where I spend my weekends. During the weekdays / workdays, I drive 100 to 200 miles and usually 200-350 miles per weekend.

That said, I have put almost 12K miles on my Jeep since I bought it 5 months ago, and I have spent close to $1/mile on this Jeep so far and I still have to redo the entire cooling system, alternator (soon), and another pulley.

Sold my 4Runner that had 216K miles on it for this Jeep, because (1) I truly thought that it would buy me less maintenance time / money / effort and (2) I've surmised that 200K is the realistic lifespan on that motor and the entry point to big expensive repairs so it had to go. I thought that the Jeep having 90K+ miles would have been less risk, boy was I wrong there. I never bought American before and I'm starting to see that I was right to think that 100K USA made miles = 200K foreign. These things just seem to age worse than any foreign vehicle I have ever owned, probably by design.

Ranting aside, I have had to have my Jeep towed once already, which isn't cool in my book whatsoever. It's been a curse with little satisfaction, so I'll have to decide where to cut my losses.

I live in between my 9-5 and the mountain areas where I spend my weekends. During the weekdays / workdays, I drive 100 to 200 miles and usually 200-350 miles per weekend.

That said, I have put almost 12K miles on my Jeep since I bought it 5 months ago, and I have spent close to $1/mile on this Jeep so far and I still have to redo the entire cooling system, alternator (soon), and another pulley.

Sold my 4Runner that had 216K miles on it for this Jeep, because (1) I truly thought that it would buy me less maintenance time / money / effort and (2) I've surmised that 200K is the realistic lifespan on that motor and the entry point to big expensive repairs so it had to go. I thought that the Jeep having 90K+ miles would have been less risk, boy was I wrong there. I never bought American before and I'm starting to see that I was right to think that 100K USA made miles = 200K foreign. These things just seem to age worse than any foreign vehicle I have ever owned, probably by design.

Ranting aside, I have had to have my Jeep towed once already, which isn't cool in my book whatsoever. It's been a curse with little satisfaction, so I'll have to decide where to cut my losses.

Sounds like maybe you have a lemon, or just a poorly maintained vehicle from the previous owner? I had an XJ Cherokee before this (same engine), and I drove it about 30-40 miles a day, every day. Never let me down once, ever. I have full faith in my 4.0 Jeeps being reliable vehicles, but I don't drive my current Wrangler as much as you drive yours, so it's a lousy comparison.

Either way, it sucks that you're going through what you're going through, especially since the Wrangler is such a fun, amazing vehicle to own! Of course I understand you may just need to go back to something like a Toyota, which I totally get.

Reactions: StG58 and Phungki