New Manifold Cost? SOLVED

just put the fender back on with these and some Velcro :)

1185391.jpg

I am not sure what those are....I guess going from under does not help?

Aftermarket manifold, notorious for being near impossible to remove / install.

The other negative thing going against me here is my AC lines. I'm half tempted to delete the AC all together, but I don't have a safe way to discharge the refrigerant.

I'm taking my exhaust off now, i don't see any way if getting around the mini cats to get a wrench in anything up there.

what would the purpose of having this one over stock? I hate to ask, but when you get the Dorman on is it going to line up with the existing exhaust flange?

Cant answer your first question. As for the second question, it is a 2 piece manifold so it should. I bought the Dorman 674-467 and 674-468. I believe the Banks headers were direct fit.. here is their install manual, i see nothing by way of flange mods for the two mini cats https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/36418.pdf

I may have to cut out parts of the old Banks exhaust manifold to get to two hidden bolts that I cannot get a wrench on. Pretty scary, but I'm out of options after trying to get at one of them with a custom 9/16 slim jim style tool that I made tonight.

The other lower bolts were loose and one was completely missing. Sucks that these last two are on very tight and inaccessible, but its par for the course.

I suppose that if I don't reply sometime tomorrow you might want to check the news for a guy getting blown up working on his Jeep.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Sounds like maybe you have a lemon, or just a poorly maintained vehicle from the previous owner? I had an XJ Cherokee before this (same engine), and I drove it about 30-40 miles a day, every day. Never let me down once, ever. I have full faith in my 4.0 Jeeps being reliable vehicles, but I don't drive my current Wrangler as much as you drive yours, so it's a lousy comparison.

Either way, it sucks that you're going through what you're going through, especially since the Wrangler is such a fun, amazing vehicle to own! Of course I understand you may just need to go back to something like a Toyota, which I totally get.

Deff sounds like the previous owner didn't maintain it well. I also bought a 4.0L TJ with 87k miles on it, besides replacing the oem starter(the looked like it had been there since it came off the assembly line 17 years ago), a couple u joints, the solenoid bearing, and a leaky pineon differential bearing, I haven't had any problems - even though I go pretty hard with it 4wheeling and have racked up 5,000 miles on it in the year I've had it. But the guy that had it before me was pretty meticulous regarding upkeep.

Reactions: Chris
Deff sounds like the previous owner didn't maintain it well. I also bought a 4.0L TJ with 87k miles on it, besides replacing the oem starter(the looked like it had been there since it came off the assembly line 17 years ago), a couple u joints, the solenoid bearing, and a leaky pineon differential bearing, I haven't had any problems - even though I go pretty hard with it 4wheeling and have racked up 5,000 miles on it in the year I've had it. But the guy that had it before me was pretty meticulous regarding upkeep.

Not sure how that was suppose to help my situation

Well my new BEST friend is this Proto 3/8" drive 9/16" swivel / universal socket .. best damn $34.95 that I have ever spent.

Got the bastards back on. This is a bummer, massive storm en route to my area for the weekend - I had to choose between cleaning and reassembly, so I wasn't able to polish all of the under hood areas that I wanted to. I got the important items tidied up though.

Glad I planned ahead with the VHT paint job, these header look like their itching to rust. Had to clean and reuse the fat washers, no one sells them locally :/

@CodaMan it does mount to my exhaust flanges.

C0FAE49C-7B58-4B49-84F0-0BAC82AA6684.jpeg

Well my new BEST friend is this Proto 3/8" drive 9/16" swivel / universal socket .. best damn $34.95 that I have ever spent.

Got the bastards back on. This is a bummer, massive storm en route to my area for the weekend - I had to choose between cleaning and reassembly, so I wasn't able to polish all of the under hood areas that I wanted to. I got the important items tidied up though.

Glad I planned ahead with the VHT paint job, these header look like their itching to rust. Had to clean and reuse the fat washers, no one sells them locally :/

View attachment 32136

Looks like you have it about whipped.

View attachment 32136

And that picture proves why it is so much easier to replace the manifolds with the fender removed.

Reactions: jeep_boss