New member 2nd Jeep first tj

97jeeptj

IMG_0311.jpg
Hey all. I had a 92 Wrangler for a few years I bought new. Now my daughter wil be getting her first car and wanted a Jeep. I saw one selling locally, a 97 tj with 150k. Paid 3800 with 2 tops. I knew it needed some work and it was well maintained with a book of receipts for proof. First off was the leak that I'm still chasing down. Front passenger always puddled when it rained. Prick knew about this as I found newspaper under the carpet and a nice hole in the floorboard. I'll weld in a knew one this spring. Back to the leak. I cleaned out the drain caulked around the air box and caulked around the cowl plastic as it was hanging down. Go to the car wash no leaks. Not so fast..when it rains I still get a puddle on the floor board. I bought a new window gasket and will throw that on when it warms a bit. Any other ideas what could be causing this leak.
So far I have put new tires on 30x9.5x15. Clowns at the tire shop did not put the caps on properly and I lost 2 that they are paying for
Wheel alignment
New shocks and steering stabilizer
Replaced blower resistor and connector.
Repaired stuck rear seat belt
Replaced leaky valve cover gasket
Replaced water pump for rear wiper. Pump works now but nothing comes out. I guess I have to take the top off to trace the hose. Not sure. Can use some help with that.
Replaced turn signal switch that would not shut off automatically.
Replaced all fluids
Replaced switches for both rear wiper and defogger.
New bumper caps

What still needs to be done.
Replace bumper stops they're either rusted or gone.
Passenger window is a real mofugger to roll up and down
Driver door handle needs replacement and the door won't lock properly.
Shit gas mileage so I'm going to take some advice I found here and replace all the o2 sensors.
Plugs and wires.
New floor pan for passenger side.
I'd like to replace the carpet too.
Install new window gasket.
Then give it to my daughter.

Reactions: farrier and Chris
Oh and make sure you go over your frame for rust spots. That’s the death nail of the TJ. And when you go to replace the carpeting, I reccomend a bed rug. It handles water and sun exposure much better than stock carpeting.

Reactions: 97jeeptj and Chris
Well, you'll never get good gas mileage out of a Wrangler... ever. What is it currently?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I'm sure your daughter is going to LOVE that Jeep, no doubt about it.

Reactions: 97jeeptj
Well, you'll never get good gas mileage out of a Wrangler... ever. What is it currently?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I'm sure your daughter is going to LOVE that Jeep, no doubt about it.

Some wife knows that old trick, it's for his daughter huh? yeah, I know. been there done that :)
.... worked on me back then as well he he.

Reactions: Chris and 97jeeptj