New member, but owned a few Jeeps

Cotterpin

I just joined today mostly to be able to ask questions and post on here.
I’ve had a 95 YJ sport in the past, loved that little Jeep except the square lights, and semi recently purchased an 03 TJ 4.0.
I also own a WWII 44 GPW, my favorite Jeep of all.
I picked up my TJ mostly for my wife to have something fun to drive and good in the winter because we live back a lane and I can’t always get home from work to plow out. I got it for what I considered a good deal but it has a few little issues. The frame and body were surprisingly solid with a couple of the usual rust areas on the tub under the doors. It came from Georgia originally which I’m sure is why is so solid.
125000 miles on it and runs really good. Every now and then I get the P0455 code, usually the gas cap but right now I’m fighting with the heater. I’ll post more in a different forum as soon as find the right one to post to.
Anyhow thanks for having me.
1720908C-661E-4D97-84CF-3281BE9D3760.jpeg
4309CC89-D118-46FA-BF59-6B88B46AEA39.jpeg

Thanks. I have plans on refurbishing both of them.
The TJ will get a few repairs and and upgrades with a color change.
The GPW will be blasted, have the few rusty areas patched, some of the major dents taken out and a fresh coat of paint with stencils. I don’t want to make it to straight. I like the “war weary” look and it actually served in the ETO fighting its way through France and Germany.

I agree, I think that "worn" look will look good on the GPW. I like when older vehicles like that have a patina to them.

Reactions: Cotterpin
Welcome to the forum....Great looking GPW..love the wire cutter on the front, that would have saved a few heads.
Yes the patina, survivor, battle beaten look is the way to go for it.

Reactions: Cotterpin
Thanks guys for the great compliments.
Zen357. Yes the GPW did see service and is a veteran of the ETO. It fought it’s way through France and Germany. Most of the damage you see was done while in service.
After the war the Jeep was purchased at a government auction by an army captain who stayed in Germany for the occupation to be used as a personal vehicle while there. He had it shipped home to Connecticut when his time in Germany was up. It sat on his farm until 1950 when the father of the gentleman whom I purchased it from was finally able to talk him into selling it. I then bought it from his son along with a 45 Bantam T3 trailer and a bunch of spare parts and memorabilia.
It needs some attention but over all is very solid considering it is mostly all original. The block cracked and was scrapped in the 60’s and was replaced with a post war 46 Willy’s block. I will be looking for a block with a close number to the frame as a “motor pool” replacement which was very common and won’t effect the value of the Jeep.
I use it for re-enactment and parade purposes. I’m involved with WWII Weekend in Reading PA as well as some other shows and we use our vehicles to drive the veterans and VIP’s around.
it’s a lot of fun to drive and gets a lot of smiles and waves around town. Some of my muscle car buddies get a little but hurt because it draws more attention. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
Thanks guys for the great compliments.
Zen357. Yes the GPW did see service and is a veteran of the ETO. It fought it’s way through France and Germany. Most of the damage you see was done while in service.
After the war the Jeep was purchased at a government auction by an army captain who stayed in Germany for the occupation to be used as a personal vehicle while there. He had it shipped home to Connecticut when his time in Germany was up. It sat on his farm until 1950 when the father of the gentleman whom I purchased it from was finally able to talk him into selling it. I then bought it from his son along with a 45 Bantam T3 trailer and a bunch of spare parts and memorabilia.
It needs some attention but overall is very solid considering it is mostly all original. The block cracked and was scrapped in the 60’s and was replaced with a post war 46 Willis block. I will be looking for a block with a close number to the frame as a “motor pool” replacement which was very common and won’t effect the value of the Jeep.
I use it for re-enactment and parade purposes. I’m involved with WWII Weekend in Reading PA as well as some other shows and we use our vehicles to drive the veterans and VIP’s around.
it’s a lot of fun to drive and gets a lot of smiles and waves around town. Some of my muscle car buddies get a little but hurt because it draws more attention. 😆
ETO ?