New Member from AR

ADVMike

Supporting Member
Hey everyone. Just bought a 2006 TJ and my first ever Jeep. Lots of questions and hope to learn from all the experienced TJ owners. I'm 71 years old, just retired this month and plan on using this TJ on the Trans-America Trail (TAT) in 2020. Just finished riding the complete TAT coast to coast on a dual-sport motorcycle this past July but want to do it again with my wife, therefore the TJ. Thanks in advance for any support.

First off, welcome to the forum! There is an absolute wealth of information on here, and folks are friendly and respectful. You'll really appreciate that aspect of it, I assure you. Secondly, congratulations on your retirement! And at 71 years young, you're riding a dual-sport coast-t-coast, then my friend, you must be doing something right!

So, folks on here just love pictures. Firstly, it allows you to show off your new ride. Secondly, it gives forum members a glimpse at what your TJ's got going for it, as well as any areas that might be a concern. What can you tell us about your rig? Is it a six cylinder? Automatic? SE, Sport, Sahara or Rubicon? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

First off, welcome to the forum! There is an absolute wealth of information on here, and folks are friendly and respectful. You'll really appreciate that aspect of it, I assure you. Secondly, congratulations on your retirement! And at 71 years young, you're riding a dual-sport coast-t-coast, then my friend, you must be doing something right!
Thanks much for the kind comments. My wife convinced me to give up the motorcycle but agreed to the Jeep as a compromise. Still lots of places I want to go where a Jeep will be perfect. We rode some of Moab on our TAT ride but want to go back and do the full White Rim Trail but share the adventure with my wife. Thanks again.

Reactions: Squatch
So, folks on here just love pictures. Firstly, it allows you to show off your new ride. Secondly, it gives forum members a glimpse at what your TJ's got going for it, as well as any areas that might be a concern. What can you tell us about your rig? Is it a six cylinder? Automatic? SE, Sport, Sahara or Rubicon? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
I'll be posting pics soon. It's a TJ X with 51,000 miles. 4.0 engine and 6-speed manual. Only mod seems to be a 4" lift kit, the rest seems pretty stock. No damage from what I can find out. I'm 3rd owner. Pretty sweet vehicle.

Thanks much for the kind comments. My wife convinced me to give up the motorcycle but agreed to the Jeep as a compromise. Still lots of places I want to go where a Jeep will be perfect. We rode some of Moab on our TAT ride but want to go back and do the full White Rim Trail but share the adventure with my wife. Thanks again.
I take it, then, that your name is "ADVENTUREMike"? :) Sure seems to fit!

I'll be posting pics soon. It's a TJ X with 51,000 miles. 4.0 engine and 6-speed manual. Only mod seems to be a 4" lift kit, the rest seems pretty stock. No damage from what I can find out. I'm 3rd owner. Pretty sweet vehicle.
Well, if it truly does have a 4" lift, there are quite possibly (even likely) other mods that were done to accommodate that much lift. The first thing that comes to mind would be something to prevent (or eliminate) driveline vibrations. That could be anything from a dropped transfer case and motor mount lift (MML) to a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE), which is generally considered the proper way to go. Point is, if it was done correctly, a 4" lift will have a number of things that go along with it. This is why the photos are so useful on here. We all look forward to seeing your rig!

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I will use the TJ mostly on forest service roads and dual track with water crossings (nothing real bad). No mudding or rock crawling. It has no vibration even at 70 mph but is not a pleasant ride at anything over 55 mph. Very sensitive steering and will changes directions with every dip in the road. I may want to go back to stock suspension and tires but need lots more information before I decide. Thanks for your help.