New Member in Maine

Mewoods

Glad to find a TJ specific forum that is super active! I'm currently in search of (no rush but hope to find something by fall) a super clean early, low miles, zero rust, TJ. We had a 97, purchased new and loved it but got rid of it when we had kids. Priority is rust free, 4.0 and manual trans. Preference is tan interior (dark khaki, camel, spice??) and top (hard and soft). Full doors. I like mechanic work and tempted to rebuild but I feel the cost will quickly exceed buying a clean example right off. This Jeep won't be a garage queen but wont be hard rock crawler either. Beach/trail rig that I'd like to keep looking as close to stock as possible. Air lockers and improved axles aren't completely out of the question at a later date. I look forward to digging through all the info in here. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Rickyd
Welcome to the forums. There are a few wranglers on Facebook in the New England area right now. But honestly I would try and get something from Southwest or the South if possible.

Glad to find a TJ specific forum that is super active! I'm currently in search of (no rush but hope to find something by fall) a super clean early, low miles, zero rust, TJ. We had a 97, purchased new and loved it but got rid of it when we had kids. Priority is rust free, 4.0 and manual trans. Preference is tan interior (dark khaki, camel, spice??) and top (hard and soft). Full doors. I like mechanic work and tempted to rebuild but I feel the cost will quickly exceed buying a clean example right off. This Jeep won't be a garage queen but wont be hard rock crawler either. Beach/trail rig that I'd like to keep looking as close to stock as possible. Air lockers and improved axles aren't completely out of the question at a later date. I look forward to digging through all the info in here. Thanks!!!

Greetings from Bangor!

Like Wigsajumper said, you'll probably have the best luck importing from the South/Southwest. The nasty salt brine/magnesium chloride mixture the Maine DOT uses is horrible for vehicles, so many of the good TJs in Maine are imports anyway. If you have enough time or patience, good examples pop up from time to time on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

Good luck with the search!

Reactions: wigsajumper
Thanks for the welcome and responses. Yes, I will be looking for a southern rig. I am patient and in no rush. May even try to keep my eye on BAT listings but don't really want to pay out of my eyeballs for a clean Jeep. Seem like prices are all over the place and possibly slightly softening. I'm coming from Landcruiser world (still have a 100 series) and those prices went crazy!!! Look forward to contributing when I do finally find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome and responses. Yes, I will be looking for a southern rig. I am patient and in no rush. May even try to keep my eye on BAT listings but don't really want to pay out of my eyeballs for a clean Jeep. Seem like prices are all over the place and possibly slightly softening. I'm coming from Landcruiser world (still have a 100 series) and those prices went crazy!!! Look forward to contributing when I do finally find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

No kidding. I was looking for a LX470/LC100 for a while to replace my 4runner....NOPE not at those prices. People wanting 30K for a vehicle with 300K miles. Might as well buy new.

No kidding. I was looking for a LX470/LC100 for a while to replace my 4runner....NOPE not at those prices. People wanting 30K for a vehicle with 300K miles. Might as well buy new.

Yes, its rough. We landed a 2000 Lx470 for under $9k with 145 or so on it. Purchased it without seeing it in person from small used car dealer in the Carolinas and had it shipped here. It isn't perfect but have been driving it for two and a half years. We have had some items that needed attention but not too bad for a 23 year old vehicle. I'm mostly an 80 series guy and will likely have another some day but right now I'd like the same TJ we had in 1997. Blue and tan sport with five hole wheels. I want to top down cruise on a beach somewhere, hit some trails and burn around the island. My kids will LOVE a convertible Jeep!!! Amazing that you can buy a near mint Wrangler with super low miles for the same money as a cruiser with 200 k on it. I am a fan of the inline 6, like the TJ and 80 series. No minivan engines for this guy. Thought the V8 is pretty decent in our LX.

I found a rust free frame on a 2004 Jeep in Gray Maine. The only rust was at the bottom of the windshield frame. That is a common rust area no matter where you live.

I used a scope to look inside the frame, the scope is cheap on Amazon and well worth the money.

Reactions: wigsajumper