New member in the Durham region in Ontario 1987 Wrangler

LlamaOnSmack7

Hey everyone. Picked up this little beauty a week ago.
I am going to be doing a lot of cutting and welding rusted floor.
I got a new battery, and still can't get the starter to crank over. Found the fuse panel (stupid place on the driver firewall.)
I see that the cluster underneath the battery is some kind of fuse//relay system.
Any tips and tricks for a new member.
Thanks.
Jesse
IMG_20190904_180550.jpg
IMG_20190904_180550.jpgIMG_20190904_180550.jpgIMG_20190904_180548.jpg

IMG_20190904_180540.jpg

Reactions: Chris
looks like you have a YJ there Jesse, a good & rusty one at that; this is a TJ forum so the main focus is on TJs, unless @Squatch gets involved then it's a free for all. There are many members here that have or have had YJs that'll be able to help

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
A YJ eh? Well, even though this is a TJ forum, you're more than welcome here.

Looks like a fun project!

looks like you have a YJ there Jesse, a good & rusty one at that; this is a TJ forum so the main focus is on TJs, unless @Squatch gets involved then it's a free for all. There are many members here that have or have had YJs that'll be able to help
Ok thanks.
My ownership says Wrangler.
Is there a big difference between the TJ and YJ?
Pretty new to the Jeep scene.
Was a ricer guy for a few years.

Ok thanks.
My ownership says Wrangler.
Is there a big difference between the TJ and YJ?
Pretty new to the Jeep scene.
Was a ricer guy for a few years.

I’m really not an expert but generally speaking, visually there’s not much difference other than the square headlights you have on your YJ (TJs are round), mechanically the biggest difference would probably be the leaf spring suspension you have, the TJ series moved to springs. Your interior is more analog, actually really cooler. These two jeeps are very very similar from a proportion/size standpoint which is why I love YJs, from a distance they look exactly like TJs. YJs were made from 87 to 95 (TJS 97-06) so the YJs are really getting few & far between, I absolutely love seeing them on or off road due to their uniqueness and ever increasing rarity. You’ve also got the crazy YJ wiper blade thing going on

I’m really not an expert but generally speaking, visually there’s not much difference other than the square headlights you have on your YJ (TJs are round), mechanically the biggest difference would probably be the leaf spring suspension you have, the TJ series moved to springs. Your interior is more analog, actually really cooler. These two jeeps are very very similar from a proportion/size standpoint which is why I love YJs, from a distance they look exactly like TJs. YJs were made from 87 to 95 (TJS 97-06) so the YJs are really getting few & far between, I absolutely love seeing them on or off road due to their uniqueness and ever increasing rarity. You’ve also got the crazy YJ wiper blade thing going on
Thanks.
I'm.glad I found this gem.
Sitting in a shed at a friend's dads place.
$500 later it's in my garage.
Thanks for the info.

I think I have a bad ground.
Got the starter to crank over, my negative wire on the battery got so hot it melted the terminal.
I think the best course of action is to pull the motor and re do all my connections.
Too much rust. Too much corrosion.
Hopefully she will be ready by Christmas.

Welcome Jesse. Not sure if you're aware of the Jeep Central forum but you might want to get involved. Most of its members are from Ontario and it's for all types of Jeeps. There are lots of YJ owners and it's a very knowledgeable crowd.

http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/forum.php
There's also the Durham 4x4 Offroad Club. I'm not a member of it but understand they are a very active group.

https://durham4x4.ca/

After day 1 we are this far.
Motor is stuck on 2 of the inverted torque bolts (stupid design.)
Got the tool kit this morning. Should have more pictures by the end of the day.
Hopefully have motor and body off the frame.

IMG_20191005_085753.jpg

IMG_20191005_085822.jpg

IMG_20191005_085807.jpg

Got the motor out today.
Cutting all the body mounts off. They are all so rotted they just spin. No threads left.
Fun day. 2 more mounts to go then the body is off. Looks like I'll need to order a new front floor.
Any suggestions on places?

IMG_20191005_114510.jpg