New member, long time lurker, just moved to Arizona

Wakeangel

Howdy folks, I'm a long a time jeep owner. My first jeep was a base '91 YJ 2 liter that I drove off the lot in winter of '91. I never did any mods to it beyond a stereo and homemade bumpers. That jeep did, however, see a lot of trails throughout north Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. In the summer of '99 I bought a stock '98 TJ that was previously owned by the dealership owner and only had 100 miles on it. Evidently he only drove it around the dealership with the top down. It has been my DD since. Originally from Dallas Texas I moved to Oregon in 2000. Maynard's primary off roading was muddy and snowy forest roads. I now live in Phoenix and want to start exploring Arizona's back roads and trails. So it's time to upgrade the suspension and do some restoration work. In the 20 years I've owned my TJ I've only had it in the shop once. That was to rebuild my rear diff. All other work I've done myself. Thanks in large part to this site and of course a Haynes manual which I no longer use. Anyway, hope to see some fellow Arizona jeepers on the trails.

November 2017 Road Trip-16.jpg

Yes join us on the regional forum, and help us find a day we can all eat cheeseburgers and drink beer, and plan some trail riding.

Reactions: DaveC
Welcome from NorCal. What plans do you have for it?
My plan is a 2.5 inch lift using BDS springs paired with Rancho rs5000x shocks. 1" motor mount lift if I get any drive line vibration (they need to be replaced anyway). Id rather go that route than an SYE. At least for the time being. I haven't decided on disconnects yet. Other suspension upgrades will happen as needed. Probably some rock sliders just in case. I just got general grabber X3 31/10.50's and they're rubbing the lower control arms so it looks like new wheels are in my future. The main goal is seriously improving handling on AZ trails. Minimal rock crawling, mostly overland exploring and camping trips. I have some minor cosmetic issues to take care of. But I'm definitely building for trail performance and not mall crawling!

Welcome to the forum!

I've lived in Portland, Oregon most of my life, but lived in Arizona for a number of years starting in 2008. More than anything I wish I could move back there, it's just become so expensive. I lived in the Chandler / Gilbert area myself.

Reactions: ac_
Welcome to the forum!

I've lived in Portland, Oregon most of my life, but lived in Arizona for a number of years starting in 2008. More than anything I wish I could move back there, it's just become so expensive. I lived in the Chandler / Gilbert area myself.
I bet we were close to being neighbors when you were here. Hang in there, we are just about due for another housing crisis. I will let you know. I would welcome you back!

I bet we were close to being neighbors when you were here. Hang in there, we are just about due for another housing crisis. I will let you know. I would welcome you back!
The last two years I lived in Beaverton. I'll be back to visit but I definitely don't miss the rain and overly expensive housing! I'm loving the sun and dusty trails here!

Trust me, I'm waiting for it.

If there ends up being another housing crisis and house prices plummet, I'll for sure be looking to buy something in that east valley area.

The last two years I lived in Beaverton. I'll be back to visit but I definitely don't miss the rain and overly expensive housing! I'm loving the sun and outdoors here.

Welcome to the forum!

The economy is one of the main reasons I moved down here. And the weather! Though I do miss the short trips to the snow.

The last two years I lived in Beaverton. I'll be back to visit but I definitely don't miss the rain and overly expensive housing! I'm loving the sun and outdoors here.

I hear you, I can't stand the rain, I'd much rather deal with the heat.

The economy is one of the main reasons I moved down here. And the weather! Though I do miss the short trips to the snow.

I moved down there for the weather and never regretted it. Yes, the summers are insanely hot. However, I preferred the heat as oppose to the cold and constant rain.

Reactions: Wakeangel
I hear you, I can't stand the rain, I'd much rather deal with the heat.

I moved down there for the weather and never regretted it. Yes, the summers are insanely hot. However, I preferred the heat as oppose to the cold and constant rain.
Funny thing, the ac in my tj hasn't worked since '05. I never needed it in Oregon. My first AZ summer without ac wasn't too bad. Nights with the top off were wonderful!

Funny thing, the ac in my tj hasn't worked since '05. I never needed it in Oregon. My first AZ summer without ac wasn't too bad. Nights with the top off were wonderful!

Oh yeah, I used to ride around my Ducati in the summers there and didn’t need AC at all. I sweat my ass off, but I didn’t complain.

Nights were much better. 90 degrees feels a lot different when the sun isn’t beating down on you.