New member looking for advice

Christy167

Hi Fellow Jeepers. I am a new to the Jeep world and am absolutely LOVING IT!!! I cant wait for the weather to get better. My question is.. How often have most of you had to change out the windshield? I am just 3 months into owning and have already had to replace the windshield. Today on my way in another rock hit me and another ding. Thankfully this one hasn't spread (YET). I am wondering if there is any special coating you all might use or if I am screwed. Have any of you tried DFI coating? Thanks so much! Christy

IMG_1876.JPG

Welcome to the forum! I need to replace mine, it's just beat up from the years. I have a long commute and my econobox has had 4 windshields, and the current one has a full width crack, so gonna be 5. Small pock marks can be sealed up before they get bigger.

Reactions: Christy167
Hi.. Thanks so much :)
Sadly I wish I didn't have to replace it the first time. I have only had it for 3 months and driving the Hwy to and from work the kickback from the big trucks just got me. I heard it and then 2 days later I noticed the crack and it just grew each day. Since its so new I just wanted to replace it. And now to have another rock hit it this morning sucked.. I am going to take it in to get filled before it tries to spread. The guy at Safelite that replaced the windshield said it was very common on the Wranglers to be replaced and get chips and cracks.

While being a TJ forum, there are quite a few on here with JKs. I had two previously. I never had a big issue with my JK windshields, but in reading the JK forums, it seems to be quite an issue with a lot of JKs.

My 2012 JK had a rock ding in the windshield when I bought it used, but I put a sealer on it and it never spread afterwards.

Maybe other TJ owners on here with a JK in the stable could chime in with some advice.

I've only replaced the windshield on my LJ once in ten years due to cracking from impact. There aren't a lot of big rigs with uncovered loads where I live. It is just a fact of life with Wranglers due to the the angle of the windshield. Objects don't just glance off like more aerodynamic car/suv windshields.

Mine has cracked twice since 2009. The most recent was a few months ago when a hickory nut fell off a tree and dinged the windshield, which then put a single north to south crack from top to bottom of the windshield.

F'n hickory tree busted a nut on my windshield!!!

The other time was something similar, a rock though, which did a similar but smaller crack.

My insurance covers windshields so both times they were repaired for free by Safelight.

Argh Covington what an awesome place to wheel. I used to drive down to Covington from Everett just to wheel. I miss the Pacific Northwet. Not enough to go back, but I sure do like Covington.

Do you drive over the pass alot? I remember the sand trucks would drop a lot of sand over the pass, and I would get a rock or two that way. Try to stay away from trucks and semi's if you can.

I have had my Jeep for just shy of a year, (but have had many others) I have three dings in mine right now that I have just ignored, but did notice that my windshield is a cheap aftermarket, so I am assuming it will need one at some time, but not even going to look into it till ti cracks. So I will let you know if that ever happens, but so far just short of a year and still holding out the same old windshield here, but I live in the desert now.

Welcome to the Forum, Sorry to hear about the windshield issues.

Yeah, windshield impact cracks generally happen when following too close or following the wrong kind of vehicle (pickup with big tires, no flaps, rock trucks, etc.). TJ's probably have less of an issue than JK's because our TJ's are too slow to be following to close...LOL. I go out of my way to stay far away from the types of vehicles that generally throw up pebbles and such.