New member looking for advice

sourdough

Joined the site to get educated on '05/'06 Unlimited Rubicons. What better place right. Right now I am looking at a '05 with 55,000 miles. I was very excited until I started reading the thread, beginners lift guide. The '05 I am/was hot on might be wrong for me. It has a R.E. 5.5" lift. My concerns are that the lift has the corrections to the steering and driveline. Also that it has the later/improved bar end bushings. Anyway, I've already learned a lot from this site. Very glad I joined and if I find/buy a TJ I'll be back often I'm sure. Cheers!

Joined the site to get educated on '05/'06 Unlimited Rubicons. What better place right. Right now I am looking at a '05 with 55,000 miles. I was very excited until I started reading the thread, beginners lift guide. The '05 I am/was hot on might be wrong for me. It has a R.E. 5.5" lift. My concerns are that the lift has the corrections to the steering and driveline. Also that it has the later/improved bar end bushings. Anyway, I've already learned a lot from this site. Very glad I joined and if I find/buy a TJ I'll be back often I'm sure. Cheers!
Any photos of said LJ with this RE lift?

Welcome to the forum.

only an ad photo.
05 rubihara (2).jpg

Last edited:
What’s up with the horribly mismatched bumper and sliders?

Anyways, Rubicon Express isn’t the best lift, it’s just “okay”. Still, I wouldn’t let that deter me. It could easily be swapped out for something better.

As for the steering, I would have to know what it has on it, but chances are it’s easy to fix as well.

I will be asking a lot more questions before deciding on a 900 mile ride to see it. I know very little at this point. From the few photos I've seen the steering angle looks excessive. Haven't seen the driveline angles. I'm wondering about what track bar end bushings it has, axle shafts and axle ratio's. Bumper and slider colors are goofy but easy to change. BTW, this is #586 a Sahara Rubicon.

Last edited:
That has a long arm lift. Not saying its bad, but just wanted to point out that its not as easy as going out a buying a short arm lift to replace it, if you are so inclined. If the joints are what concern you, Metalcloak makes a joint replacement kit for RE fulex joints.

Otherwise, it looks like a decent jeep!

Last edited:
This LJ is clean with low miles, a lot of options and priced low IMO. Waiting to hear back from seller. I've asked a lot of pertinent questions now. Maybe already now why it's priced low. Hopefully it's sorted out and no issues. I'm going to pass if it's not close to 100%. I might just have to bite the bullet and order a new JL. At 67 I'm tapped out of 40+ years of wrenching.
Update... seller got back to me. Knowing what I know now, I'm going to pass on this LJ. Thanks for the replies. Again great website and a wealth of info. Cheers!

Last edited:
Update: I passed on that LJ. I found another, it too has a R.E. lift but the super flex short arm kit. I won’t be able to see it for a couple days. Looks clean but not much in the way of extras I’d like to see. Comments welcomed.

'06 LJ white.jpg

2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with automatic transmission. 4 inch Rubicon Express suspension system. Walker Evens wheels with 33" tires (full size spare). ExoGate heavy duty, reinforced tailgate hinges. After market power windows. Runs strong everything works great. 85k $18,000

Update: I passed on that LJ. I found another, it too has a R.E. lift but the super flex short arm kit. I won’t be able to see it for a couple days. Looks clean but not much in the way of extras I’d like to see. Comments welcomed.

View attachment 74503
2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with automatic transmission. 4 inch Rubicon Express suspension system. Walker Evens wheels with 33" tires (full size spare). ExoGate heavy duty, reinforced tailgate hinges. After market power windows. Runs strong everything works great. 85k $18,000

Looks nice from the outside, if the underside is clean and rust free, that's what counts.

It has Walker Evans beadlocks, which are very expensive, and very nice wheels (one of my favorite wheels out there for the TJ / LJ).

What limited info I’ve gotten over the phone seems like it’s been well cared. This owner is not the first however and hasn’t had it very long. Selling due to new house issues, which is what the owner of the other LJ I was looking at said ? He said he put a new longer Pro-com R. drive shaft in it. The tires are Mickey Thompson(Age?), not my first choice. If the MT’s are questionable. I think a set of 5- BFG 35x12.5r17 MT K3’s are my choice. I’m hoping for 5 W.E.’s wheels. I like 5 matched on my 4x’s. I imagine the shocks aren’t fresh, what would be a quality replacement ? Bilstein’s or are King’s 2.5 worth while a LJ. I have a set of King’s on my heavy Ram 4x4/ Tiger RV and they are a very good shock.