New member needs advice on TJ purchase

Badbadger

Hi Folks, new to this forum and have bee searching for a TJ for a couple of months. Looking at Craigslist, Wheels and Deals etc. Any other places where I should look. Not trying too find anything radical. Prefer 4.0 with auto, but hard to find. Have seen less expensive 4 cylinders but don’t know about that engine. Any advice? Thanks!

I've used cargurus.com for several vehicles. I think you have a good starting criteria. Good luck in your search.

What kind of budget are you working with?

Unfortunately this is probably one of the worst times to buy a TJ. Their values have gone through the roof this past year. There are plenty of good ones out there but most people have seen what they are selling for and it has been getting harder to find reasonable prices.
Facebook marketplace has pretty much taken the place of Craigslist and would be a good place to search.

If you are only going to use it for low speeds out on BLM land in your area a 4cyl is not a bad engine. Both the 2.5 and 2.4 have been proven reliable. If you want to take trips that involve highway driving then you will definitely want the 4.0.

Facebook marketplace has pretty much taken the place of Craigslist and would be a good place to search.

Yup, I watch them all the time on FB for fun, if it's a decent TJ at a higher than usual but not insane price it'll be gone the same day. The rest are either waaaaay overpriced or in horrid condition, or both. But the point is they do come up on there frequently enough that if you're in the market, have a good amount of cash to throw at it, and you're super quick on the draw, you can grab one.

I thought the market was tight 5 years ago when I was looking but that was nothing like today. I for one wouldn't want to be in the market for one at this point, too stressful 😧.

I use “searchtempest”. They scan all the craigslist ads. You enter the radius you are willing to travel. I found mine in Co which was 800 miles from me. Took me a month of looking multiple times a day. Good ones at a reasonable price go fast. Some times in hours. Be prepared, you’re gona look at a lot of crappy TJs until you find your match. Good luck on your search.

Don’t settle for a 4cyl.

Reactions: Ron505
You have to be diligent, and be willing to travel ...some really nice ones come out of Arizona for instance.

It’s out there. 965,945 were made from 1997-2006.

Hi Folks, new to this forum and have bee searching for a TJ for a couple of months. Looking at Craigslist, Wheels and Deals etc. Any other places where I should look. Not trying too find anything radical. Prefer 4.0 with auto, but hard to find. Have seen less expensive 4 cylinders but don’t know about that engine. Any advice? Thanks!
There is a gigantic difference in the 4.0 and 4 cylinder.

If you want a 4.0 don't settle no matter the deal on a 4 cylinder.
It will drive you mad and crazy that you didn't get a 6 cylinder.
Especially if you're set on an auto you do NOT want the 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder with 3.07 gears will also provide you suicidal thoughts.

Out where you are rust won't be an issue.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Have the cash on you and only buy from private party sellers. Good Jeeps sell extremely fast and car dealers charge ridiculous prices and can't honestly tell you if the Jeep has/had problems. If I knew someone to install an engine for me, I could get a nice 04' auto for under $3,000.

I agree to buy private party if you can, but I found mine at a dealer, after looking for 8 months. It was clean, and I knew what to look for. I had many, many private sellers telling me how clean there TJ's were, only to find out the frame was about to break in half, or had been patched (or lots of other issues). "Well I didn't even see that" they'd say.....whatever. Look everywhere.

I had many, many private sellers telling me how clean there TJ's were, only to find out the frame was about to break in half, or had been patched (or lots of other issues
Nothing pisses me off more than people that list a POS as mint or excellent condition. I test drove this beautiful 1998 Jeep. I pulled over 1/4 mile from the guys house and crawled underneath it. My wife asked what I was looking for? I felt a bad vibration and immediately took the Jeep back. The skid plate was hanging down 2" on one side from the rust. The only thing that made me more mad was this asshole selling his Jeep and I told him I have $8,000 cash on me (his full asking price). 2.5 hour drive each way. I get 5 minutes from his house to text him that I made it and he tells me "sorry, I just sold it". My wife was so happy I didn't bring my gun on that trip. So was I.:mad: Going back to jail isn't on my list of fun things to do again.