New member / old TJ builder

Bruski

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum but not to the TJ. Currently stationed in North Carolina and in the search process of what will be my 4th TJ over the years. I've built each of my previous rigs from stock but as I get closer to retirement (military) I'm reluctant to start from scratch again. I've always sided with the "built not bought" crowd but I've come across a well-built 2006 Rubi and wanted to get your collective opinion on a few things I've noticed in the attached pictures. I've been out of the game since selling my 04 in 2013 so I'd love a little guidance. I can't see it in person until later this week so no frame/rust status yet.

21215195216.jpg
2006 Rubicon with 99,000 miles $12K
-Looks like 4-4.5" lift with 35" Toyo open countries based on the size of my last build
-Currently in the shop for a 3rd gear syncro swap (I hope that means a new main seal as well)
-Smittybuilt XRC front and rear (swingout) bumpers with an unknown 9500 winch
-Front hub conversion
21215196880.jpg

21215197292.jpg

21215195326.jpg

-Toggle switches in place of factory locker switches
-Cable locker (I assume) to the rear end
21215195818.jpg

I've never seen a shift boot not fit the center cutout; could that be an automatic console cut out?
-Rhino-lined interior is nice but makes me worry about hidden floor-pan rust.
21215196695.jpg

Could that possibly be a 60?! Could that explain the cable locker?

I can't look at it until it's back from the shop sometime tomorrow so I have no idea what the frame condition is; however, when I pull up with a low creeper and a mallet, they might remove me from the lot. Please let me know what you guys and gals think.

Mike

Reactions: Carter6
Welcome to the forum!

From what I can see, it's got 35" tires, a 5" lift (probably 4" suspension and 1" of body lift). The lift looks like a cheap, bolt-on long arm lift (which really has no place on these things if you do the research), but that is what it is.

I can't see the rear axle well enough, but it may or may not have something under there. The wheels stick out quite far, so it's possible it's running wider axles. However, if could just be the offset of the wheels.

Can't see the frame well enough to comment on the condition of the underside, but that's what I would be the most concerned about.

Mike, Welcome from the eastern part of NC. Nice Jeep, hope it gets a clean bill of health from your mechanic. Jeep on.

Welcome to the forum!

From what I can see, it's got 35" tires, a 5" lift (probably 4" suspension and 1" of body lift). The lift looks like a cheap, bolt-on long arm lift (which really has no place on these things if you do the research), but that is what it is.

I can't see the rear axle well enough, but it may or may not have something under there. The wheels stick out quite far, so it's possible it's running wider axles. However, if could just be the offset of the wheels.

Can't see the frame well enough to comment on the condition of the underside, but that's what I would be the most concerned about.

Thanks Chris. I agree that the lift looks like a homemade kit made from YJ shackles but I can add real hard points if the control arms are worth the effort. I'll post pics of the frame if the condition is questionable.

Thanks Chris. I agree that the lift looks like a homemade kit made from YJ shackles but I can add real hard points if the control arms are worth the effort. I'll post pics of the frame if the condition is questionable.

Awesome, I look forward to hopefully seeing more photos :)

That’s not a 5x4.5” lug pattern. Looks to be a 5x5.5” patten which means it could have full width Dana 44’s being as wide as it is. Steering setup is also different. Could be a good find

Reactions: Chris
That’s not a 5x4.5” lug pattern. Looks to be a 5x5.5” patten which means it could have full width Dana 44’s being as wide as it is. Steering setup is also different. Could be a good find

That's what I was thinking and could be the reason behind the cable locker. Thanks!

***UPDATE:

I was finally able to look at the above Rubi last night. The frame was in good shape and the body was ok. The suspension is a frankenlift long-arm with massive control arms that were nearly parallel to the ground. The rear axle is a Currie Rock-Jock 60 and the front was an unknown brand aftermarket 60 with ab OX locker... 37" Toyos and Smittybuilt XCR armor. I'm 6'3" and the bottom of the door frame hit my waist. It ended up getting a full tranny swap but for some reason the dealership raised the asking price $4k. I think the dealer is trying to recoup the maintenance and may have realized what that thing has installed. Either way, I don't want to deal with them.

Looked at another Rubicon prior to this one; 2006 w/ 102k miles. I couldn't come up with anything additional it would ever need; however, the tub had 1" rust holes in numerous places and the frame was painted over a serious rust problem. Even the motor mount, mounts were rusted through. It was beautiful but I passed.
IMG_5970.jpg

I'm checking out an lj on Friday which is what I originally wanted. 2006 w/ 125k Miles. The owner sent the following pics:

Screenshot_20191120-105737_Facebook.jpg

20191016_163821.jpg
20191016_163830.jpg

Yeah that LJ looks like the one if the price decent?

Asking $13k but I'll make a fair offer to come in around $12k after sales tax and NC's ridiculous highway use fee which is well over $200. It has a budget 3" lift (springs not spacers), 33" A/Ts, Brand new besttop/soft top, Barricade flat fenders and rocker armor. It Blue-books at $11.2 in prime condition/private sale.