New member, purchasing a 2005 TJ

R49

Forum odd guy
Lifetime Supporting Member
I’m going to buy a 2005 TJ. It has only 40,500 miles. It’s dead stock so after I get it I want to get lockers, winch and hard top. I’m new here. I’ll try to post pics after the deal is done.

Nice find. Make sure to check all the usual tj items. Being in MT the frame will be good and solid.

Nice find. Make sure to check all the usual tj items. Being in MT the frame will be good and solid.

Thanks for the reply. What are the usual TJ items? I’m currently restoring a 57 CJ. But I know nothing of the TJ. I’m not going to pass up this deal so I need to dive into TJ world an get learned up.

Thanks for the reply. What are the usual TJ items? I’m currently restoring a 57 CJ. But I know nothing of the TJ. I’m not going to pass up this deal so I need to dive into TJ world an get learned up.

05 has oil pump drive assembly (OPDA) issues. It can be fixed with I believe a Crown unit (though someone needs to confirm that for me). 05 autos have a reputation of bad TCMs, WranglerFix has a replacement PCM for that (TCM and PCM integrated into one). If it wasnt originally a MT or West Coast jeep, then check the frame for rush. Specifically around the rear control arm mount, in between the frame rail and tcase skid, and front control arm mounts. Make sure it has a 44 rear end if you are going build it up. Make sure it has the 4.0, a 2.5 is a weak engine.

Edit: Here is also a good resource
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-should-i-look-for-when-buying-a-used-wrangler-tj.375/