New member, stock 2004 Rubicon in Middle Tennessee

Welcome! Always have loved that red that came on the 2004ish model years. You have the perfect canvas to start from.

I know...can't help but thinking...maybe just a 2in lift...so that's about $1k....then I start thinking of another $1.2k for tires, then the labor... Then I move on to looking at bicycles on ebay.

Welcome to the forum....classic TJ right there.
You can always remove the jugs ...and keep them.

By the way, that gunmetal looks really nice on your TJ. My first TJ was that color, a 98 Sport that I bought in Maryland. Was the first car purchase I made that was > $4k.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
So, how's the ride post lift? Like it?

It’s amazing! I just installed it this weekend. I’ve only driven it 40 miles or so now. I didn’t expect the ride to be improved as much as it was.

The greatest test was taking it over some washboard on a gravel road. At speed, with the stock suspension...the Jeep would chatter and drift all over. I just attributed that to the solid axles and a short wheelbase. After the lift and hitting the same washboard...she just floated right through it. Definitely an improvement, and worth every penny.

Reactions: posas13
I know...can't help but thinking...maybe just a 2in lift...so that's about $1k....then I start thinking of another $1.2k for tires, then the labor... Then I move on to looking at bicycles on ebay.

I did the OME 2” HD springs ($310), OME rear trackbar relocation bracket ($30), Rancho RS5000x shocks ($150), Rubicon express front adjustable sway bar links ($125), and Rubicon Express rear sway bar links ($35).....so $650 total is what I have in the lift.

I did what most would not think of doing and kept my stock size (245/75r16) Cooper STT Pros. I can’t justify spending the money on bigger tires when I’ve only got 5000 miles on these tires. I’ll probably go to 265/75r16 when the time comes.

Here’s the before and after pics...

If you ever put different wheels and tires on yours, I would buy your stock ones. I am looking for nice ones for my low mile 2005 Sport.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm gonna keep em.
It’s amazing! I just installed it this weekend. I’ve only driven it 40 miles or so now. I didn’t expect the ride to be improved as much as it was.

The greatest test was taking it over some washboard on a gravel road. At speed, with the stock suspension...the Jeep would chatter and drift all over. I just attributed that to the solid axles and a short wheelbase. After the lift and hitting the same washboard...she just floated right through it. Definitely an improvement, and worth every penny.

tempting. I know that chatter & drift.

I did the OME 2” HD springs ($310), OME rear trackbar relocation bracket ($30), Rancho RS5000x shocks ($150), Rubicon express front adjustable sway bar links ($125), and Rubicon Express rear sway bar links ($35).....so $650 total is what I have in the lift.

I did what most would not think of doing and kept my stock size (245/75r16) Cooper STT Pros. I can’t justify spending the money on bigger tires when I’ve only got 5000 miles on these tires. I’ll probably go to 265/75r16 when the time comes.

View attachment 75851View attachment 75852

I like it. I have the same sized tires too.

Reactions: Magua
was

View attachment 75851View attachment 75852

was it tough to put in? do you tend to do your own work?

was it tough to put in? do you tend to do your own work?

Not at all, and it's very satisfying work. Tons of info here on the forum that helped me. I did it all myself. I don't consider myself a mechanic, but I have no problems turning a wrench or fixing things on my own either. Maybe I shouldn't say I "have no problems"...I can make plenty of problems...I guess I should say I'm not afraid to turn a wrench.

Reactions: posas13
@posas13 I'm in Hendersonville, just north of Nashville if you ever want to meet up, or go and do some mild offroading let me know!
I do work a lot, but as long as I have enough time to plan ahead I can do most weekends.

Reactions: Chris