New member with 2003 TJ 4.0 5-speed

farmdwg

Well I did it, jumped in and pulled the trigger on a 2003 TJ 4.0L 5sp with 93k miles on it over the weekend. Besides the big tires and K&N air filter is pretty stock. Looking to get some of the finder flares replaced as they are somewhat faded. One item we'd love to get is a hard top for the winter months. From my findings, the aftermarket tops do not have the wiper or defroster. Is that correct? What tops are worth looking at?

This is going to be fun.

Jeep.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, and nice Jeep — and fairly low mileage. It looks really clean. But you should correct the model number in your title and first post.

I don't know which hardtops to recommend, someone else will have to jump in on that.

If you ask about that K&N air filter, you'll get some discussion going — there are some strong opinions, mostly not positive.

Fill us in with more details. And pictures.

Welcome to the forum! Fellow 2003 TJ owner here as well, with slightly more miles on mine, lol! Factory hard tops are the best fitting option out there. Search the CL and snag a used one if you can. If your jeep wasn't outfitted with a factory hard top, you may not have the wiring for the wiper/defroster for the hard top, fyi.

Welcome to the forum! Fellow 2003 TJ owner here as well, with slightly more miles on mine, lol! Factory hard tops are the best fitting option out there. Search the CL and snag a used one if you can. If your jeep wasn't outfitted with a factory hard top, you may not have the wiring for the wiper/defroster for the hard top, fyi.
Yeah, I've been searching CL already. Seems to be the place to find them.

So my TJ has the wiper/defroster switches already so I was guessing it was already wired. I could we wrong.

Yeah, I've been searching CL already. Seems to be the place to find them.

So my TJ has the wiper/defroster switches already so I was guessing it was already wired. I could we wrong.
If the switches are there, then you should be good to go. You can check to see if the wiring harness is on the driver side of the tub under the carpet. There will be a plug at the end of the harness and hose for the squirter.