New Motobilt 4-Link Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
No argument there.

I still doubt it's advantageous to have 3-4" up travel on a buggy.
I still doubt it's advantageous to have 3-4" up travel on a
I'll tell you what. Let's have a rock crawling competition to showcase this kit and your build philosophy.

I'll bring my best TJ build, you bring your best using this kit and 4" or less of up travel.

Does mid-November work for you?

How about a YJ? Pretty much the same frame and body 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely! What you are describing as “upsetting the chassis” can be looked at this way. Now to be clear we are talking slow speed crawling. When the shock bottoms out it essentially changes the suspension roll center to the shock location which would help stability. (Very simply put)

Interesting. Would you mind going into more detail on this?

My background is a suspension-curious car guy that's also an engineer with a decent grasp on geometry and statics.

Reactions: Mike_H
So, just on appearance then. Got it.

If he’d like to provide measurements in regards to how low it hangs I think we will find it’s far from flat. I know there are plenty of skids that are near flat. If one was going through all the effort of installing this kit, why would you not want a flat belly skid?

8DF893B4-3F8A-4E16-A5EE-410F0D6B6004.jpeg

Anyone want to take a guess how low that hangs in relation to the frame? More or less than factory?

If he’d like to provide measurements in regards to how low it hangs I think we will find it’s far from flat. I know there are plenty of skids that are near flat. If one was going through all the effort of installing this kit, why would you not want a flat belly skid?

View attachment 362529

Anyone want to take a guess how low that hangs in relation to the frame? More or less than factory?

When you say far from flat what are referring to? The belly is the lowest part of the chassis. The “Belly” you have is over a foot wider. The much narrower sub frame of you will.
The links will still transition a slide up them and on to belly exacting the same. So forgive my confusion when you say things like a “rock anchor”. When both bellies are pretty much the same but ones much narrower and therefore less likely to get hung 🤔

Reactions: Fouledplugs
No, they told us it hangs down approximately the same as the OEM shovel.

Okay, I missed that. So again, one goes through the effort of installing the kit only to have a belly that hangs just as low as the factory skid? I really don’t understand the logic behind that. Sure it’s more narrow and appears to have boatsides, but it’s still a big shovel waiting to get stuck on something.

Okay, I missed that. So again, one goes through the effort of installing the kit only to have a belly that hangs just as low as the factory skid? I really don’t understand the logic behind that.
Sure it’s more narrow and appears to have boatsides, but it’s still a big shovel waiting to get stuck on something.

Try to get him to tell us a tire size and a belly height. And maybe some suspension travel numbers. 😉

And somehow, a compressed shock (that lets the frame get shoved around) aids in stability.

This has completely changed everything we thought we knew. I guess it’s time to go back to the drawing board.

Reactions: jjvw
When you say far from flat what are referring to? The belly is the lowest part of the chassis. The “Belly” you have is over a foot wider. The much narrower sub frame of you will.
The links will still transition a slide up them and on to belly exacting the same. So forgive my confusion when you say things like a “rock anchor”. When both bellies are pretty much the same but ones much narrower and therefore less likely to get hung 🤔

He means flat, flat across the Jeep TJ frame rails side to side. Your kit has as much vertical hang down (hangy downy) as the Chrysler factory crossmember aka " the shovel".

You kit is narrower in the center, that is acknowledged. I think some of the well versed suspension guys here Want see you toss out some numbers and tech to explain your TJ and I guess YJ specific product.

It seems it is intended for stretched full hydro buggie type TJ's with 42" stickies?

Status
Not open for further replies.