New MPG Record

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Took the back seat and all my crap out (portable compressor, tools and recovery gear) last weekend and made several trips to the storage unit in prep to move and i ran that way to work this week. I filled up this morning and checked mileage to find she hit 22.55 MPG, wow it's now an econo box.

I fill up at the same pump and usually with the same attendant who does not top off the tank per their policy.

Reactions: Frank
OK @TJ4Jim , cough up the details on how you achieved this miraculous feat! Inquiring minds want to know... I love my four banger, but it doesn't get much better than 17 - 18 MPG on a regular basis. Alcohol free gas? High tire pressure? Constant tail winds? How did you do it buddy?

Reactions: Chris
OK @TJ4Jim , cough up the details on how you achieved this miraculous feat! Inquiring minds want to know... I love my four banger, but it doesn't get much better than 17 - 18 MPG on a regular basis. Alcohol free gas? High tire pressure? Constant tail winds? How did you do it buddy?

Well the long block was replaced last summer, I have installed a 4.0 throttle body, stock pattern tubular headers (only because the CI kept cracking) and new 4 hole injectors. Other than that she is in good tune with the proper plugs, high quality plug wires and distributor cap. I run 31" tires at about 28 PSI with a corrected speedometer that agrees with the GPS. She has pretty much given me an average 20+ MPG but unloading the extra weight made a bit of difference. I only use regular gas typically from the local Wawa.

I did the injectors because before and after the new block I was getting a cylinder 3 missfire and the only common item was the injector.

Oh, and it was raining Tuesday all day during my commute and she loves the damp weather.

Reactions: StG58
Interesting. What shift points do you use? Does it seem to matter? I agree with you on the weight thing. Mine will pull a load, no doubt, but she just isn't all that happy happy about it. Oh, what's a WaWa?

Interesting. What shift points do you use? Does it seem to matter? I agree with you on the weight thing. Mine will pull a load, no doubt, but she just isn't all that happy happy about it. Oh, what's a WaWa?

The only thing I watch is my driving habits which means laying of the gas pedal on my commute from the Jersey Shore into Queens over the GW bridge. It's 140 miles round trip with about 90 % highway. I probably average about 60 MPH on the drive.

Stand by to come about! ... Helm's a-lee! Genny haul! Mainsheet haul! Trim the slot...belay!

Somebody's going to stumble onto this thread and show it to his wife. Look Honey, Jeeps do too get descent gas mileage. WE should get one!