New muffler on the ZJ

CJP04

The muffler on the ZJ is splitting right at the horizontal seam. I'd attempt to seal it up with some putty, but the people who judge if I meet state emissions don't deem that adequate.

With that information in hand, do I need to cut or weld when putting a new muffler on the ZJ? I see it's only attached by a clamp to the cat, but the tail pipe and muffler seem to be one piece. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Shatto
In a similar situation, when I was really poor, I made a patch of many folds of aluminum foil, held by a commercial size tomato can and clamped with giant hose clamps, long enough to wrap the entire muffler, that I bought from a plumbing supply house.

But, since it is a Smog matter, a muffler shop will install one faster than you can.

If you buy a muffler, keep in mind that any performance benefit starts at about 2,000 RPMs above what you drive at.

My flowmaster set off alarms but in over three hundred thousand miles there was no measurable MPG improvement. But at the end, when the baffles had burned away, the drone and loudness wes overpowering.

Last edited:
Innovative!

Believe me when I say that I'm plenty satisfied with the torque the 5.9 is pumping out 21 years later, however, a nicer growl would never be discouraged.

I think I'll just end up using band clamps because it's a project I'd like to learn without welding. Can you recommend a good band clamp? What size would I go with? Possibly low sodium? ;)