New noise that goes away when pressing clutch pedal

Ocho

3k@80
Supporting Member
So I’m cruising on the 405 jamming out to some Widespread Panic on my new BLAM gear.. can’t even hear the wind with the top off.. at some point I turn the music down and hear a shhhhhhhhhhh noise from the engine compartment. Who knows how long it’s been there but now I’m not enjoying my new speakers anymore because I’m trying to figure out what this noise is!!

The noise happens from about 2100-2750 RPMs while in gear turning the engine. At standstill in neutral, dead quiet at the same RPMs.. if I hit the clutch, the noise disappears.

I’m no engine wizard.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you have a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing in your transmission.

Makes sense that it’s a tranny issue now that I think of it..
Looks like I’m going to be throwing some money at the Jeep to fix this..

is a complete clutch replacement the way to go? If so, any brand in particular I should go for?

Get a new flywheel and clutch kit from LUK, most will recommend that brand, but dont use their throw out bearing, get a Timken

Sounds like you have a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing in your transmission.

I agree with Chris, sounds like the throw-out bearing. If you're going in there, you may as well replace the clutch too, that way you only have to go there once.

Reactions: Chris
How many miles on your Jeep? These clutches can go to 300k, and if you don't need to then don't replace the flywheel. If it's badly checked or warped, replace it. Otherwise, scour it clean and rock on. There have been some who are unhappy with the throw out bearings in the clutch kits. I took their advice and used a Timken and chucked the (very light, plastic) one in the kit.

How many miles on your Jeep? These clutches can go to 300k, and if you don't need to then don't replace the flywheel. If it's badly checked or warped, replace it. Otherwise, scour it clean and rock on. There have been some who are unhappy with the throw out bearings in the clutch kits. I took their advice and used a Timken and chucked the (very light, plastic) one in the kit.
210K kilometers.. if I'm going to go in there once, I'm going to go all the way. going to take everyone's advice and get the timken bearing on top of the Luk kit!

Reactions: glowell222

I think even Timken are sometimes hit or miss. The first time I replaced the clutch (had to go back in to replace the flywheel anyway... stupid torque wrench failed and caused me to strip out a bolt hole) the Timken started making a lot of noise about a week later, but only when clutch was pressed. Replaced the flywheel and clutch with the same kit, and no problems now

Reactions: glowell222
210K kilometers.. if I'm going to go in there once, I'm going to go all the way. going to take everyone's advice and get the timken bearing on top of the Luk kit!
Ok, and I am making a bet with myself that your culprit is actually the pilot bearing.

250,000 miles, NV3550, same TOB noise, you can only here it when the jeep is idling in neutral with the clutch out. as far as I know the jeep is still on its original clutch and trans. Clutch is fine, but my syncros are dying and I probably need to look at my shifter arm (have to hunt for gears if your not familiar with the box)

Waiting around for something to fail and then i'll pull it all out and stab in a new/rebuilt trans clutch and TOB.

I think some of you have it backwards. If the noise is present IN GEAR, it's not the throwout bearing. Throwout bearing noises happen when you depress the clutch, usually in the form of screech. You should really try to pinpoint the noise before you throw money at a new clutch. My money is on input shaft bearing on the transmission, but it would help to have a video to get a better idea than saying it's a "shhhhhhhh" noise.