New old guy? Well, not that old...

MrJoelieC

Hey Folks,

SO - I've seen and looked at Jeeps my Whole Life...My wife and I purchased our First Joint Vehicle back in 1997 a used 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 2 doors... When we bought it she had 36k miles. We ran her until 2009 when I was forced to give up because on the surface she looked amazing with 297k miles on her. However, I never knew how much rust was occurring above the Gas tank until it was just too late.

I got into other vehicles and 2 years ago when it came time to get my 16-year-old son who had just gotten his first job and his license reliable transport I remembered the venerable straight 6on our XJ and realized that a TJ came with that exact same motor... I found a Maroonish-colored 2001 TJ sport with a 5-speed and whenever I would take it out I proclaimed it's impossible to drive a Jeep without a goofy grin on your face. My Son has used a wrench and taught himself a lot servicing and fixing the 01 TJ himself and done a mighty fine job at it as well. He replaced Brakes and even replaced fluids in Transmission and difs. The Jeep will be turned over to my Daughter who Just turned 16 as my now 18 going on 19-year-old will be going to the Sportscar Scene like his old man...

Now, I love Jeeps... But my Main Summer ride is a 1995 Corvette Base model 6 speed... But I kinda wanted my primary vehicle to be fun and I was realizing how much fun I would have driving my Son's Jeep around town getting parts for the Vette or even when he and I would go and get stuff for his Jeep or other projects...

Previously I was leasing a car but leasing just left a sour taste in my mouth but it was a means to an end as I could get a really low payment and also be able to save a bit for 3 years and think about what I wanted...

I shopped around test drove some Jeeps that were absolute Basket cases... Rusted out machines that had Death Wobble...And believe it or not of all places...I found a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ X with a 6-speed on Facebook Market place... It was the color I wanted and dam if the folks had not already put the exact bumpers I wanted on it. I Initially was fearful of the 4" lift and 35" tires having the Death wabble but by God I drove it and realized somebody had taken the time to do the suspension correctly... at 86k mile the engine was completely unmolested and stock

Here is what's wrong and the status:

1. Rusty pitting on back right bottom behind the bumper (Pending fix)
  2. Stuck 4 wheel drive... no 4x4 Low only High.. (Spraid linkages with liquid Wrench had son pull and push repeatedly and she now sifts in gear...)
  3. bottom of windshield inside? rusty... (pending think I'm just gonna replace the whole piece)
  4. the frame is pretty perfect... No major rust issues minor surface flaking (taking to have coated to prevent any more rust)
  5. No 3rd brake light... (Putting the lights behind spare tire)
  6. The initial "take-off" was a bit shaky and weak? (Ran a can of Berryman's through it (See vice Grip Garage.) gave it the Eye-Tallion-Tune-Up and then threw on a throttle body spacer and a cold-air-intake and I feel less worried about jumping on the traffic now. She's no speed demon but she at least now pulls as my sons does.
  7. The exhaust is just got a tiny tiny leak at the joint on the back of the muffler... Did not notice it all until moisture dripped from it on a cold morning warm-up while snow blowing. (Taking it to a Custom Exhaust for a bit of free flow all-welded joints.
  8. The hardtop has a small damaged spot. (I'm going to mix up some epoxy and fill this tiny crack that someone else tried to repair...Smooth it and smooth the entire roof and have her painted and cleared in gloss black...
  9. a tiny pinhole in the back soft top window... (For now I got some clear 3M tape on Both sides. It's a nice Best Top so I may see if I can just get a replacement flap
  10. the Floors are slight orange... (they are solid but turning orange. I'm going to use a cheek poker wheel a bit, vacuum, and clean it and then paint on some por15 onto it and cross my fingers that I got it in time...
Other than that she gets more looks than my Corvette that both angers me and makes me proud... everything works on her including the AC which was a huge surprise...

I think she good enough for most New England Car shows and a few Jeep Jamborees...She's not a Show Winner but she'll get whistled at... I have mounted A CB radio and I'm pretty good at wiring so I plan on adding some old school KC Fog and Spots on her. I have some wiring Buss Bars on the way and plan on doing it right and even have the switches to mount in the stock locations on the way.

Anyways, Greetings from Milford NH...

The Custom plate was Shockingly available and will be JEEPFUN

Cheers
MrJoelieC
(Pronounced: "Mister-Joel-Lee-See"

150789943_174420280850303_1318697668907311837_n.png

Great looking TJ, love the color too!

Sounds like a good buy with only minor issues.

Welcome! I agree, they sound like easy fixes. I will say, if you still have it, put the factory air box back on.