New Old Jeeper

LiftMore

Supporting Member
Up until a few days ago, I was going to sell my TJ after owning it for the last 18 years since new. I was going to sell because I haven't offroaded in 3 years, I daily drive my truck that I love too, and it was always a pain to get the Jeep out of the garage since my kids bikes an junk always needed to be moved. So for the last two weeks I worked on sprucing her up to be ready for sale. Changed all the fluids. Busted and painted rust on the frame. Washed her and waxed her to make the paint look better than it really is. I even adjusted my anti-rock to the tightest setting so test drives would feel better. But something didn't feel right about selling and the more I worked on the Jeep, the more I realized that this was part of what I enjoyed. Driving is fun. Wheeling is a blast. And working on it is rewarding even though frustrating at times.

So, here I am. I am feeling like a new jeep owner again and I'm going to build.

JSBruLl.jpg

Here's part of the data from the listing I deleted off of Craigslist:
Suspension and drivetrain:
Currie 4" Progressive Rate Coil springs
Savvy 6061 aluminum double adjustable control arms with Currie Johnny Joints
1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift (ready for that tummy tuck I planned)
Currie Antirock Sway Bar Kit - CE-9900
Currie Johnny Joint Heavy-Duty Adjustable Front Trac Bar - CE-9120TJJ
Currie Johnny Joint Rear Track Bar - CE-9120R
Currie Currectlync Heavy-Duty Tie Rod System - CE-9701
Tom Woods Drive shaft
Advanced Adapters SYE
Novak Cable Transfer Case Shifter
Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gears
Aussie Auto Locker in front axle
Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks

Armor:
Savvy Aluminum Gas tank skid (tucked 1")
Rokmen Rear Bumper/crossmember armor w/ frame tie-ins
Rokmen Mercenary Rock Sliders w/ internal support brackets
Rokmen Steering box skid
Currie front-lower control arm skid plates
Halltrail ¼" engine skid plate
Dana 30 3/8" welded Differential Cover

Soon, I'll finally get my regear from 3.73 to 4.88 as well as ARB lockers front and rear. I need to find a new Jeep club to get back into offroading. My current one has dried up.

Welcome to the forum. Good call on not selling your jeep. I sold my first 2002 tj after 6 years (that I bought new) when my first daughter was born. 8 years later I bought a second 2002 TJ. I missed having a summer time vehicle. Plus like yourself, I enjoy tinkering with the small things from changing fluids to upgrading the radio and speakers to successfully replacing my turn signal multi switch. You won’t be sorry that you kept it.

Wow, with those mods I wouldn’t sell it either. Not only is that a great looking TJ, but you’ve got some very high end mods on there!

I feel like a TJ is one of those vehicles you fall in love with all over again, each time you drive it. Especially on the summer days where you get to take the top and doors off!

Glad you decided to keep it!

Thanks. I actually drove it into work for the first time this morning in the fog/rain/wind. Much nicer to drive when you finally flush the heater core so it heats up nice and warm.

I may not be sorry, but I don't think my wife is ecstatic about me keeping it. She was looking forward to having the entire garage all by herself and she knows this means I'll be buying more stuff :D. I just bought a replacement rear seat and ordered seatbelts to replace the ones I sold years ago. My kids are excited that with a rear seat, they can go wheeling with me this summer. I also have a donor HP30 lined up to give to my gear guy. I'd rather a Rubi 44, but I doubt I'd find one at a price I'd be willing to pay for.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome! You have a nicely built TJ with quality components. The only thing it needs is some gearing and lockers like you said

You'll be glad you kept it. It's got a pile of nice parts. What TT are you going with?

Welcome! You have a nicely built TJ with quality components. The only thing it needs is some gearing and lockers like you said

Yes. I remember how different wheeling was with the auto-locker. I can't imagine what I'll be able to do with both axles locked and appropriate gearing. It'll be really fun for a while until I get the new wheels and tires. 4.88s with 33s and a 5sp should crawl well on the rocks, but scream on the highway.

You'll be glad you kept it. It's got a pile of nice parts. What TT are you going with?

That's a good question. 3 years ago I was set on a Savvy skid, but now I'm not really sure. I kinda wish they had a steel plate option. Sadly, I'll have to put tires before the TT though since mine are pretty beat up and getting low on tread.

Here's today's mod. Seat came in and I installed after a trip to the store to get the bolts I sold with the seat I'll need to get new bolts for the belts too when they come in.

e96kvTA.jpg

Bjhmqhy.jpg

Reactions: UpperMI