New OPDA is not working

Paulthefarmer

I understand that this is a fairly old problem people have had with their OPDA's but I have not found any discussions or threads online where people are experiencing the same problem as I am. I own an 06 TJ, for the past few months the engine light has been on, when I looked up the code the most popular problem was with the OPDA. Ordered a new one, put it in exactly as directed from the videos, and within a few minutes of test driving the light came back on and the problem was worse than before. With the old OPDA the motor was in limp mode and would not go above 3200 rpm. With the new one installed I couldn't keep the vehicle on without it violently sputtering. Not knowing what to do, I pulled the new one and sure enough the gear had already shown signs of wear. The part looked broken. So I put the old one back in and it went back to just not being able to go above 3200 rpm. Thinking it was a faulty part I contacted the seller and had a replacement sent. New one got here today and again I did everything exactly as the video said. When I went to test drive it did fine for a few minutes and then I lost all oil pressure and it started violently sputtering once again. This time however the engine light did NOT come back on. I shut the vehicle off immediately and towed it back to my driveway with my other jeep. Now I'm not sure what to do. Any feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

This makes me think it's not the OPDA itself, but possible the sensor that is part of the OPDA.

Which brand replacement OPDA did you order? I know that the general consensus is that the Crown OPDA (which is the best option for a replacement) has a sensor that is a piece of garbage. Many people remove the Crown sensor and put their factory Mopar OPDA sensor in place of it.

I've heard of all sorts of issues similar to yours where it turned out to be the actual sensor on the OPDA and not the OPDA itself.

Do you still have the factory OPDA that you could remove the sensor from?

I am no expert but I believe #1 that you need to reinstall the OE camshaft position sensor and not use the CPS that came in the kit. #2 that the Crown OPDA kit is supposedly better than the Dorman but not even the Crown is bulletproof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Okay, I ordered the Dorman OPDA, I tried replacing the new sensor with the old one that had came with the Jeep when I bought it, (I'd replaced it with one from autozone so I have the original and a newer and then the one that came with the kit) it fixed the problem, I was even able to go above 3200 rpm while accelerating, as soon as I got happy the check engine light came back on. It doesn't seem to be sputtering but I'm sure it's back in limp mode and will not go above 3200

Just to cover all your bases, what codes is it throwing when you check them with a scan tool?

I'm only asking to potentially eliminate any other possibilities.

The code it's throwing is the P0016 code. I've had it checked numerous times and that's the one that keeps coming back and putting the motor in limp mode

Man, that's tough. If there's no other code it would seem that it has to be the OPDA or the sensor on the OPDA itself... I'm stumped.

Try unplugging the battery for 10 minutes and then plugging it back in?

You aren't installing the OPDA correctly. I had the exact same issue and just barely turning the OPDA one direction or the other fixed it. When installing it, it's either in right or its in wrong. Yours is in wrong.

OR

your cam shaft gear is fucked because the old OPDA the cam chewed earn other up.

My bet is that you aren't installing it correctly.

I have the Crown and used the original sensor. I heard the Crown is better than the Dorman but Jerry is saying the opposite. I bought the Crown after spending who knows how many hours reading all the threads.

Crown + old sensor + turning the OPDA just a tad until it worked = success for me!

Whoops I meant to say the Crown is supposed to be better. I'll edit my post, thanks Badlieutenant.

But I'm also now reading that the Crown has been recently discontinued. Rumor says possibly due to the Crown's problems with the camshaft position sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Awesome thank you all so much for you input! First thing tomorrow I'll try turning it one way or another and then I'll post on if it works!

Again, thank you

I tried probably 15 different positions and it's just back to how it was with the old OPDA, engine light, and limp mode

Disregard my last, I don't know how or why or what I did but it seems to be fine now, no engine light, no nothin. Tried a combination of everything one last time and took it on a good test drive and now it seems to be all better (for now)

Thank you again to everyone who provided input, it is much appreciated

Reactions: matkal and Chris
Disregard my last, I don't know how or why or what I did but it seems to be fine now, no engine light, no nothin. Tried a combination of everything one last time and took it on a good test drive and now it seems to be all better (for now)

Thank you again to everyone who provided input, it is much appreciated

Glad we could help! I knew your problem was probably literally a centimeter too far left or right. Mine did the exact same thing. I just tweaked it till it was perfect.

Whoops I meant to say the Crown is supposed to be better. I'll edit my post, thanks Badlieutenant.

But I'm reading the Crown has been recently discontinued. Rumor says possibly due to the Crown's problems with the camshaft position sensor.

That sucks! I mean, they absolutely should fix their sensor. They have a good product and instead of discontinuing, should have just fixed that one little part.

Buddy of mine just bought an 05. I better tell him to order that crown up asap!

Not necessarily on the 05. A friend of mine pulled his on my advice and found his original OPDA and cam gear was in near mint condition. I cannot recall for sure but his engine MIGHT have been made in early 05. He has at least 80k on his serious rock crawler.

I have 116,500 mi on my 05 & it runs like new , but I ordered one from quadratac & have it in my closet, I need to find time to at least check it & if it's good I'm putting it back in.

But I'm reading the Crown has been recently discontinued. Rumor says possibly due to the Crown's problems with the camshaft position sensor.
I ordered a Crown OPDA for my 06 Rubicon but I am not having any issues or "screaming monkeys" at this time. Would you guys go ahead and replace or wait?

I ordered a Crown OPDA for my 06 Rubicon but I am not having any issues or "screaming monkeys" at this time. Would you guys go ahead and replace or wait?
Replace it. Failure of the original unit can cause catastrophic damage to the engine. I don't mean it will, but it can. likes to chew up the drive gears o the cam for one.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not necessarily on the 05. A friend of mine pulled his on my advice and found his original OPDA and cam gear was in near mint condition. I cannot recall for sure but his engine MIGHT have been made in early 05. He has at least 80k on his serious rock crawler.

That's how mine was. 80k on my 05 and the original OPDA was in perfect condition. Kind of funny how that works out

That's how mine was. 80k on my 05 and the original OPDA was in perfect condition. Kind of funny how that works out
I went thru 3 of them in my 05. I didn't say it would do the damage. I said it could do it as posted on several different forums. My advise is to get rid of that potential problem before it causes huge problems