New Project

Umbra

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I took a while, but I finally found that Wagoneer I've been after. Smokin' deal too.

1975 base model, 360.

waggy.jpg
waggy.jpg

That should make for a fun project? Got any big plans for it?

Not yet.
It sat in a TN barn for a long time. ( Cows broke out some of the windows, not kidding)
So at the moment I'm replacing the glass, carb, fuel tank and brakes. Once it's running and the weather cooperates it will get a big scrub down, detailing and the floors need work
The first big-ish job will probably be to replace the QuadraTrac with a part time 4WD system.
Upgrade the ignition and then probably get some AC in there.
I might replace the grill with one of the older styles. I like both of the early sixties versions and I think the color goes along with an older look.
Otherwise, I really love it as it sits.

Long range it will likely be a travel wagon for road trips and then I'd prob be looking at some engine/fuel upgrades

Last edited:
Not yet.
It sat in a TN barn for a long time. ( Cows broke out some of the windows, not kidding)
So at the moment I'm replacing the glass, carb, fuel tank and brakes. Once it's running and the weather cooperates it will get a big scrub down, detailing and the floors need work
The first big-ish job will probably be to replace the QuadraTrac with a part time 4WD system.
Upgrade the ignition and then probably get some AC in there.
I might replace the grill with one of the older styles. I like both of the early sixties versions and I think the color goes along with an older look.
Otherwise, I really love it as it sits.

Long range it will likely be a travel wagon for road trips and then I'd prob be looking at some engine/fuel upgrades

I really like those things. If I had enough money to buy a second project and put a in LS in it (for more power), I would do it in a hear beat. A/C would be a must as well. I would definitely replace the grille with the older version, as I too like them better.

Reactions: Umbra
I really like those things. If I had enough money to buy a second project and put a in LS in it (for more power), I would do it in a hear beat. A/C would be a must as well. I would definitely replace the grille with the older version, as I too like them better.

The prices are all over. I picked this one up for $1000. I'll probably have less than 2 in it to get it running and stopping. Since they were essentially the same body style for 30 years, the parts are available and pretty cheap. Just about any engine swap is possible and fairly inexpensive compared to most. I'll probably end up with a 5.3 LS and OD trans eventually, just for MPG if nothing else.

I'm torn on the grille. I really like both the "Rhino" and The "Razor" and either is a bolt on swap more or less.

grilles.jpg

Reactions: Chris
The prices are all over. I picked this one up for $1000. I'll probably have less than 2 in it to get it running and stopping. Since they were essentially the same body style for 30 years, the parts are available and pretty cheap. Just about any engine swap is possible and fairly inexpensive compared to most. I'll probably end up with a 5.3 LS and OD trans eventually, just for MPG if nothing else.

I'm torn on the grille. I really like both the "Rhino" and The "Razor" and either is a bolt on swap more or less.

View attachment 66959

I think I like the Razor the most.

As for the engine, yep, I would opt for a 5.3 and a 4L60E setup!

Damn juvenile delinquent bovines, anyways! Idle hooves are the Devil's workshop!

Agreed. I wouldn't have believed it but I saw some evidence and I had a friend whose old truck fell victim to the cow curse too!

The quarter windows are replaced w Ebay specials ($200 for the windows, rubber AND shipping) and the back passenger door glass arrived Thursday.

Reactions: Squatch
That thing is screaming for the gladiator grille... Never heard the term rhino... But looks the same.

Nice project!

I never heard that either until I started digging around in the Wagoneer/ J trucks/ Cherokee FJ/FSJ stuff.

It's definitely a different world from the TJs. Weirder.

Yours has the "eggcrate" grille but I agree the original Rhino would look awesome on the base, no trim body. My personal favorite was the Razor grille.
599f8efc59c1ef270dc26f7d4dc7b630.jpg

Razor is definitely the easier to install.
If you go with the Razor, go for the 1 piece bumper too.
Unless you plan to add a winch, the 3 piece bumper was build specifically to add a winch between the 2 ends.

Last edited: