New Rubicon, what would you do with it?

4x4Dan

So I just purchased this 03 5speed Rubicon (145,000kms) and am new to TJs. I'd like to turn it into a more capable camping and wheeling rig.

Is there any preventive maintenance or replacement parts specific to my TJ that I should know of?
So far I've ordered a replacement o2 sensor that's bad and some redline mt90 for the transmission.

Any info or advice on my jeep will be appreciated!

Awesome color, welcome to the forum. I'd get it out on the trails in stock form and see what you need. Stock Rubicons are extremely capable on their own. If you don't know the service history I'd change all the fluids. Quick and free mod is to get rid of those milk jugs on the front bumper!

Is that even a factory color on the Rubicon? If so, it's got to be the most rare color ever, because I've never seen it on a Rubicon once. @Starrs?

If that were my rig I would put 31s on it (a good tire like the Duratracs), a 2.5" lift, a winch, and maybe a few other minor things. It doesn't need too much to be a capable rig, even in stock form it already is!

Reactions: JMT
Is that even a factory color on the Rubicon? If so, it's got to be the most rare color ever, because I've never seen it on a Rubicon once. @Starrs?

If that were my rig I would put 31s on it (a good tire like the Duratracs), a 2.5" lift, a winch, and maybe a few other minor things. It doesn't need too much to be a capable rig, even in stock form it already is!
I think that might be intense blue. I’ve never seen that one.

Reactions: JMT
I'm planning on doing a 2-2.5 lift with 33s most likely and high clearance fenders. With a setup like that would I need to install a sye and replace the factory drive shafts?

I owned a 2 door JK with a Rtt and a 4runner before that and have a fair amount of trail experience. I don't know a ton about these jeeps so I would just like to improve on any weak links from the factory.

I think that might be intense blue. I’ve never seen that one.
same here I have never seen that color on a Rubicon but from the looks of the fender flares and everything else it looks like the real deal... And it looks pretty well cared for.

Of course we need to get the vehicle delivered to us to test it out... Please don't forget to have fuel in it. It kills me how rude some people are.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
t
As far as the color goes I believe it's a factory color but parts have been resprayed. I think it's intense blue, whatever it is I love it!

It's not the patriot blue which is what my 03 tjr is.

I've found our rigs really like redlines fluids. Also, use a non synthetic gear oil in the axles.

First thing I would do is replace the front fender and check over the rest of the Jeep for rust. That Jeep has seen some salt. Rust is a real killer on these Jeeps.

Besides that, 32's, 2 inch lift, 1.25 body lift, and a tummy tuck will get you pretty much anywhere.

I'm planning on doing a 2-2.5 lift with 33s most likely and high clearance fenders. With a setup like that would I need to install a sye and replace the factory drive shafts?

I owned a 2 door JK with a Rtt and a 4runner before that and have a fair amount of trail experience. I don't know a ton about these jeeps so I would just like to improve on any weak links from the factory.
The original drive lines will be good with a 2 - 2 1/2” lift and you don’t have to worry about a slip yoke eliminator since it doesn’t have a slip yoke.

The original drive lines will be good with a 2 - 2 1/2” lift and you don’t have to worry about a slip yoke eliminator since it doesn’t have a slip yoke.
Good to know. I read something about replacing the front shaft with a greasable one to prevent possible seizing and damage to the t case, is that something I should look into doing soon?

Sweet Jeep! Wow that’s a slick color.
2 inch lift with 32’s and no other mods are needed on a Rubicon except for bump stop check. If you go 2-1/2 it gets into contols arms and a rabbit hole if your not careful. 2 inches and 33’s will run with out proper bumpstops

I'm looking at the arb old man emu 2 inch kit and then unsure as of what disconnect I'll choose. Is there any recommendations on 2 inch kits and a disconnect that will work with that set up?

OME is generally known as a pretty good brand. When it comes to a 2" lift, there aren't as many complications so it isn't as hard to choose between lifts as it would be if you were going 4" or higher. JKS are popular for disconnects.

Just out of my curiosity, do you have any photos of the frame?

Reactions: Thunderhead
I’m still working through my list, but as a “recent” buyer on a family budget (August 2018) nearly all my work so far has been maintenance:

• u joints
  • wheel bearings
  • oil
  • trans fluid
  • diff fluid
  • wiring (custombatterycables.com - phenomenal quality)

I also didn’t know a lot early in my ownership and blindly accepted a shop’s recommendation and have stock height pro comp shocks (don’t buy these) and new control arms/bushings.

None of that has stopped me from getting out there and experiencing the rig to learn. That experience helped me dial in what I want longer term (more moderate lift, 33” instead of 35”, etc). My goal is more daily driving + camping trips + fun drives.

That color is spectacular; super nice looking TJ!

I agree with @jodomcfrodo, you're best bet for first-thing-to-do is rusta abatement. Get rid of or stop the rust where you can, while you can. It costs way less to stop it now than to replace the parts it claimed later.

Otherwise, another "second that emotion" to @IPerkWVU for enjoying it out on the trail for a while to get a feel for what you might want to change.

Reactions: 4x4Dan
May have a few more miles on it than the speedometer says due the fact of the tow setup on the front end. Just make sure you change all fluids and checks nuts and bolts underneath

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: rasband