New scam to me

1TrackJack

I have a LJ for sale and I get a text. Texter very interested, local area code, want to meet tomorrow but wants a vehicle check from Nationalautohistory.com. I offer the Carfax that I bought but not good enough. I look up Nation Auto History and find that it’s a scam. Just thought I would let ya’ll know.
Be fun if everyone texted the number 813-445-6700.

Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
I buy and sell cars all the time, never come across this one. How does it work, does that fake vehicle history report site skim your credit card info?

The old man next door to me was excited the other day about a Jeep he was going to buy once the seller responded. I hated to tell him that no one is going to make a webpage to sell an, obviously restored, CJ for $1400 and only give a Gmail account as a contact.

Reactions: JMT
I'm not sure how this scam can be very successful, because if someone asked me to do this I'd give them the VIN and tell them to look it up on their own if they need that history report. Why would it be up to the seller?

Reactions: lowranger and JMT
I buy and sell cars all the time, never come across this one. How does it work, does that fake vehicle history report site skim your credit card info?

Exactly. They send you to a site where you enter your CC info and they steal it.

I'm not sure how this scam can be very successful, because if someone asked me to do this I'd give them the VIN and tell them to look it up on their own if they need that history report. Why would it be up to the seller?

Because even with as smart as you and I are, there's a lot of idiots out there who simply don't know any better.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of idiots in the world. If it wasn't for idiots, shows like "The Voice", "Keeping up with the Kardashians", "Real Housewives", and all that other crap wouldn't exist.

This just proves that there are far more idiots out there than smart people.

Because even with as smart as you and I are, there's a lot of idiots out there who simply don't know any better.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of idiots in the world. If it wasn't for idiots, shows like "The Voice", "Keeping up with the Kardashians", "Real Housewives", and all that other crap wouldn't exist.

(quietly turns off the voice...)

As George Carlin said:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Reactions: Chris and Tomcat
Also, it's a sad state of affairs when you just have to naturally assume every phone call, every email, almost every communication is someone attempting to steal something from you. Con jobs are the new manufacturing jobs. Now excuse me while I return that call to the social security administration and try to find out why my account has been frozen

Also, it's a sad state of affairs when you just have to naturally assume every phone call, every email, almost every communication is someone attempting to steal something from you. Con jobs are the new manufacturing jobs. Now excuse me while I return that call to the social security administration and try to find out why my account has been frozen
Sad but true. It makes it very hard to work with folks. I have several where I am helping them with various brake projects being adapted to hub conversions and not being able to reach out via phone because they will not answer any call they don't recognize the number is a pain in the butt.

I've still got to call the marshalls back and tell them why I shouldn't be arrested. Card services still needs about 50 returned calls. And one of these days I'm going to send over the money to get my cousin out of jail in Mexico.

Kidding aside. One thing I see over and over are video being posted up on FB in areas they clearly don't belong. What is the purpose? Is there monetization for each view or something?

Another one that is just dumb is the posts with "reply with the word cash and you will be one of today's 5000 dollar winners." The number of folks who reply is just ridiculous.

Reactions: xxdabroxx and Chris
Sad but true. It makes it very hard to work with folks. I have several where I am helping them with various brake projects being adapted to hub conversions and not being able to reach out via phone because they will not answer any call they don't recognize the number is a pain in the butt.

I've still got to call the marshalls back and tell them why I shouldn't be arrested. Card services still needs about 50 returned calls. And one of these days I'm going to send over the money to get my cousin out of jail in Mexico.

Kidding aside. One thing I see over and over are video being posted up on FB in areas they clearly don't belong. What is the purpose? Is there monetization for each view or something?

Another one that is just dumb is the posts with "reply with the word cash and you will be one of today's 5000 dollar winners." The number of folks who reply is just ridiculous.

You can't blame folks for not answering the phone. It's not always a scam artist but you just don't know. I can't tell you how many numbers I have blocked (it's very many). Within the past few months I've been getting calls from my own area code that appear to be local calls but they aren't. Pisses me off to the highest of heights.

As far as Facebook goes, that's a true societal cesspool and why anybody would want to wade in it is beyond me.

You know my friend, the internet ruined everything. It had so much potential and look at what it's turned into.

Reactions: Chris
In regards to not answering the phone Blaine, I can relate.

I finally turned a feature on with my iPhone where it blocks all incoming numbers that aren't in your contact list, or numbers that you haven't called before. So unless I've called your number before, or you are in my contacts, my phone won't ring if you call me.

However, if you leave a voicemail I will get it. This is a new iPhone feature called "silence unknown callers", and it works really good.

The downside of course is that I occasionally miss calls from legitimate people. I have gotten to the point however, where if people don't leave me a voicemail, I won't return their call.

Before I turned that feature on, I was getting a solid 20 plus phone calls a day from out-of-state area codes, and others made to look like they were coming from right here in town.

They were all robocalls of course, and it was driving me batshit insane.

It's sad that this is what it's come to (like you said), but the amount of spam calls these days is truly alarming.

I've heard several local stories of the elderly being conned into sending money for a "grandchild going to jail, unless they can pay for damages"

Just use the white pages to find a large family. If you can find a grandparent that doesn't recognize their grandkids voice, they probably feel bad about seeing them so little, and are more inclined to help. It's a good con... for someone that finds themself without heart or self worth.

No what is sad is they work. If they didn't work, they wouldn't keep doing it.

Very true. I don't have actual numbers, but my guess is that 1 out of every 500 spam calls (maybe less) yields some sort of ill-gotten gains. Like you said, if they didn't work, they wouldn't keep doing it.

Hey now that is good. How can you be smart?
That is why you excel because of the idiots. Let there be more idiots!

Reactions: Chris
I've heard several local stories of the elderly being conned into sending money for a "grandchild going to jail, unless they can pay for damages"

Just use the white pages to find a large family. If you can find a grandparent that doesn't recognize their grandkids voice, they probably feel bad about seeing them so little, and are more inclined to help. It's a good con... for someone that finds themself without heart or self worth.

That happened to my FIL. The caller identified himself as my son, and wanted money for bail. My FIL asked him his middle name and he got it wrong. The middle name used was a family name, but the name of my nephew.

My FIL told the caller he wasn't legit. The caller said you live at (he had the correct address), and we're coming for the money. My FIL said, "come on over I'll be waiting". Nobody showed up, but it did rattle my FIL a little. He called my wife just to confirm was son wasn't in any trouble.

My FIL has only 4 grandkids, near 0 internet experience, no facebook, smart phone, etc., but the caller somehow had a lot of personal information. Unfortunately, there's a lot of scumbags out there.