New shock install. Ha...

oldschoolsdime92

TJ Enthusiast
So, I've been tinkering a bit this evening. New shocks came in from Allen earlier in the week, but due to sickness I've been unable to mess with it.

So. I broke all upper rear shock bolts , go figure.

So here's my real question. I'm stock height and pulled off oem Chrysler shocks. The new rancho 5000xs are longer. Is that going to be enough extra length to cause an issue?

8D3984D1-0E5C-4672-9793-4AC30003D379_zpslon7ol7p.jpg

Haha, messed with the same thing today. I got my shocks on Wed, from Allen.

I soaked the bolts from the bottom since Monday, and the tops from early this am. I took a 1/4 in socket set and they laughed. I took the 3/8 and twisted till I could see the extensions seriously flexing. One of the 4 creeped, lol.

Biuttomed it all back up and taking to a mechanic in town who will do all 4 of $60. Sucks but I don't have air tools right now nor a lift. I'd rather just have it done with.

I hate to think of another guy messing with my jeep, but in this case I do t want to F around with it. Thankfully the wife was happily willing to spend the $$ so we could just hang out this weekend. Nice!

Are those replacement shocks for stock height or for a lift? If they are for a lift, you'll need the correct size lift springs or else you'll have issues.

However, if they are a stock replacement, then they'll be totally fine, even if they are a tiny bit longer. No worries there at all!

Replacement for stock height. I just read so many stories about people tearing up their upper shock mounts due to shocks being too long. I was paranoid. As for your question in the other shock thread. I haven't gotten them out yet. Haven't even started there. Decided it was time to pack it in for the night and mess with it another day.

Reactions: Chris
If they are stock replacements you'll be totally fine. They aren't even that much longer, just a tiny bit.

As for getting the bolts out, either a torch or a bolt extractor kit (or both).

You may be able to punch them right out. It is kind of tight under there with the gas tank but I think if you have a long pointed punch you may be able to knock them out pretty quickly.

Reactions: albert621
If they are stock replacements you'll be totally fine. They aren't even that much longer, just a tiny bit.

As for getting the bolts out, either a torch or a bolt extractor kit (or both).
Well , In my shock research , I came across multiple instances where a manufacturers stock height shock was actually too long , and other routes had to be gone. Obviously coil sag can effect all of this, and cause a stock shock to bottom out, thus tearing up shock mounts. i don't like to tear stuff up hehe

Well, Jeep is going to the shop early in the week to let them sort the broken bolt situation. I don't have the time and energy to put into it at the moment. Tried the air hammer on the tacked in nuts off. They aren't coming off. Started drilling. Got 1/2 through pilot drilling the first one and broke drill bit. Throwing in the towel on it. Its a very rare day when I pay someone to do something, but at this point I feel my time is more valuable.

Reactions: Ron505 and Chris
Ahhh, nothing like letting a shop figure it out. Can't really blame you!

I've been laid up with food poisoning and just didn't have the time or energy to mess with it. First time in 10+ years I've taken somthing to a shop. I had to ask some friends where to even go, because I didn't know where to start! Felt like I was turning in my man card, but it was the best choice

I've been laid up with food poisoning and just didn't have the time or energy to mess with it. First time in 10+ years I've taken somthing to a shop. I had to ask some friends where to even go, because I didn't know where to start! Felt like I was turning in my man card, but it was the best choice
We will have to compare, mine are getting put on at a shop tomorrow. Lol.

I also never let anyone touch mine, but in this case (I have no air tools now) someone else can mess with it.

I had to air chisel mine off, and I'd turn my man card back in to have that time back...lol

My air chisel wouldn't touch it, so I started to drill. I did an 1/8 pilot and got about 1/2 way through and chipped one of the cutting edges off my drill bit. It was starting to get hot out and I decided, that I would rather spend time with my wife and son, vs fight those bolts all weekend. Had it towed to a local shop first thing Monday morning.

Got them installed today, I only put about 1 mile on them.

First impression, they are pretty stiff. However they make the jeep far more predictable and stable. They have also quieted my suspension, so I assume at least one of my old shocks was blown. I'll review them in another thread after the weekend.

Just posted here to compare experiences with oldschool, since he was also getting them installed today.

The stiffness was the reason I swapped em out for 9000xl's. They made my rear bounce too much over road bumps.

I believe they work better if you have a loaded jeep with added accessories like bumpers, winch, etc.