New General ATX Tires

Camdenst

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just pulled the trigger on tires. After much debate I went with the brand new general grabber atx in a 285x75r16. I only have a few miles on them but so far they look and feel great.

20180505_170653.jpg

20180505_170643.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on tires. After much debate I went with the brand new general grabber atx in a 285x75r16. I only have a few miles on them but so far they look and feel great.

Condidering the Grabber ATX or the Toyo AT2. Like the way the ATX looks in your pics. What was the deciding factor for you in choosing the ATX?

I bought the Toyo A/T II (31" X 10.50"). While I haven't got 'em mounted yet for my project TJ, we have a set on my wife's XJ. Great tire. That General is a good looking tire. You'll have to keep us updated on how they perform, and how you like 'em. Congrats! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
It was combination of #1reading/ hearing great reviews of the general tire line, the at2 and the x3s and #2 the rim protector. I ruined an aluminum wheel and chipped several others with my old kos and they came with one. Call it ptsd, but I was worried the ko2 would increase the risk not having the option. I also wanted to try something new and the tread pattern is pretty sweet in my opinion. They also with a 50k warranty and a 45 day swap to any other general tire if you’re not happy option.

I’ll keep you guys posted how they workout. I’m trying to set up a run to Pa this month to really test them.

Really like the tires. What's the difference between the General ATX & AT2?

Also, do you leave on the mirror brackets with the doors on?

The ATX replaces the at2. It keeps a very similar tread and adds in a more aggressive sidewall.

For the mirror brackets yes. It’s my firs experience with the updated tj mirrors and I can tell you the relocations brackets are crap and look ugly. I ended up just going back to the older tj brackets and bought new mirrors from amazon. I’ll leave the brackets on all year and this fall just take the mirrors and put the hard doors with the factory mirrors on.

Update:

500 miles in and they are awesome. I love the tread pattern, it’s distinct and pretty aggressive looking for an at tire. Very quiet on the road with great manners. I haven’t had them off-road yet but as soon as I do I’ll keep you guys posted.

It doesn't have to be scientific. Just wondering if you have found yourself filling up earlier or later, miles-wise, than you used to.

I hoping the forum could correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding they went to an electronic speedo instead of a gear in the tcase
I see what you meant. The Rubicon will need an electronic device, i.e. Speedohealer or Yellow Box, to correct the speedometer for larger tires. The 241OR transfer case does not use the gear driven output.

Good looking tire. I've read a lot about these tires as well and they have great reviews. I saw that the AT2 which is not offered anymore had a D load range for a 16" wheel size tire where these new ATx tires do not. I'm glad to hear that they have ridden smooth with little road noise for you. I will be getting a set of these within the next couple weeks. Were you able to get these tires with black walls or did you just turn the white lettering toward the inside? Also, how much lift do you have with these tires in the pictures you have posted in this thread?

Also, it looks like you have had the tires for almost a year now since this original post. How are they holding up?