New General ATX Tires

On grabber at2 since December 2017, 265/70r17. Roughly 40k-ish miles on them.

On road, off road, rain and snow - I am satisfied. As far as you can push Jeep without traction control, they won't disappoint.

They resist puncture well and not at the same time. Kind of interesting, I have pulled out many big nails out of them, all bent and imbedded deep but no puncture. It is the tiny metal spikes that sent me 3 times to the tire shop. Obviously a very situational thing, yet a positive one on my end.

Thread wear on other hand is nothing to brag about. This tires are sold with 60000 miles thread life warranty, so lets establish this as baseline.
At around 25000 miles they already had my questioning attention, because difference between tires in rotation and a spare one was day and night. At that time, at the rate they were wearing, I was seriously questioning them being able to last till 40000 miles.

Now at 40000, I have few thousand miles of road trips left in them. Offroading at this point will be equivalent to all season tires. Further more, being Florida based, sun, humidity and heat had its toll on them. Even if they had good 20000 miles of thread life in them, I would question their ability to structurally handle offroading abuse.

Over time, all 4 tires in rotation have developed excessive wear in the middle. I have played with air pressures in attempt to balance wear out with no success.

As far as balancing goes, I have lost balance 3 times on highway road trips.
Additionaly, they seem to lose balance after Jeep gets lifter off the ground for a day or two. Part of me say that what I am feeling is in my head, other part clearly sees the tire shop adjusting weights when I was rolling in for balancing every two weeks in a span of few month.

In January of 2020 I wrote email to general, to see what they say. They gave me two responses:
1. Mileage warranty excludes LT tires.
2. If you rotate your tires, your shit is out of luck. They want receipts of every 6000 miles rotation and thread wear measured by shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: FJQue
I’ve got about 38k miles on them and there is 6/32” of tread left. They’re holding up well in the rear, but the front has had some uneven wear waiting to get all my front end rebuilt. Now that I got that done, I’m going to put fresh ones on. I ordered more A/TXs without hesitation.

I had AT2s on my XJ for nearly 50,000 miles, and replaced them with ATXs, which now have around 10,000 miles on them. Lots of dirt roads, long highway trips, desert slickrock, snow, driving up and down between AK and the lower 48, and even a bit of mud. They are an awesome tire at a budget price. They wore evenly too, even with me forgetting to rotate them most of the time. I would absolutely get them again.
Yeah, I'll buy again.