New General ATX Tires

Update 7/15.

Ive put about 1k of the tires so far and really like them. On the street they ride nice and are very quiet. Had a chance to air down and wheel at Rausch over the weekend and can say that they far exceeded my expectation. Really good traction on the dry rock. I ran them at 12psi saw a decent amount of flex. Unfortunately/ fortunately there was no mud to try them in.

Anyone looking at the KO2s should look at the ATX option. Personally I like the side wall tread better than the KO2 and the tire has a rim guard to help protect the wheel.

20190713_115956.jpg
20190713_120004.jpg

Last edited:
They look great. Seems like I have seen them in an OWL too. I love the look of OWL since that's what all my TJs came with from the factory.

I will state up front that I am biased since I work for Michelin, who owns BFG. I will only run BFG for an A/T or M/T tire. The newest versions ( KO2 & KM3 are even much improved over the older versions. All the reviews that put them at the top are spot on. I work in R&D and believe me, they go through more testing than you can imagine. I have even personally driven a Ford Raptor with KM3s through an off road course right after heavy rains and it was slick, but never left 2WD. The KM3s are very impressive. As for price, yes they are pricey but for only about $15 more why not get the best? Again this is my personal opinion and I am biased, but the reviews and my personal experience in years past lead me to choose BFG!

I will state up front that I am biased since I work for Michelin, who owns BFG. I will only run BFG for an A/T or M/T tire. The newest versions ( KO2 & KM3 are even much improved over the older versions. All the reviews that put them at the top are spot on. I work in R&D and believe me, they go through more testing than you can imagine. I have even personally driven a Ford Raptor with KM3s through an off road course right after heavy rains and it was slick, but never left 2WD. The KM3s are very impressive. As for price, yes they are pricey but for only about $15 more why not get the best? Again this is my personal opinion and I am biased, but the reviews and my personal experience in years past lead me to choose BFG!

I ran two sets of BFG K02's (older versions) on my XJ. That was the tire of choice at the time. I seem to remember having to constantly balance them. Again, that was the older ones.

I'm really wanting a new set of tires for my jeep, I'm leaning toward the KO2'S, but I will definitely look into these General ATX tires.

I'm always willing to try something new. The General AT/X's received good reviews, I got a good price on them and decided to give them a try. Thus far I am very happy with them. The shop that installed them strongly suggested they be rotated every 4K miles but they do free lifetime rotation if you buy the tires from them so that won't be a problem as the shop is close to me.

Reactions: GorillaBiscuit
I like the look of these Grabbers.

My one question is the extra 10 lbs of weight per tire for E load range. Is it negligible? I know 40 lbs total isn't the end of the world but the OCD in me would rather avoid it. Maybe it's not as big of an issue as I am making it out to be?

Have any of you had these tires out in the snow? They look like they have some great siping for winter traction. I wonder how they do.

I like the look of these Grabbers.

My one question is the extra 10 lbs of weight per tire for E load range. Is it negligible? I know 40 lbs total isn't the end of the world but the OCD in me would rather avoid it. Maybe it's not as big of an issue as I am making it out to be?

To be honest, Specks, I really can't tell if there is much of a difference. I will say that I went from a Mickey Thompson ATZP3 and the difference in those two tires is pretty significant. The ride is much better, little to no road noise, they still have a pretty aggressive look, and have great grip! I have not had them in snow and, being in Mississippi, doubt I will any time soon. I had KO2's on my 2012 Wrangler and really loved them...I loved the look, the performance and the ride! One thing I like about the ATx's over the KO2's is the sidewall, I think the sidewall is more appealing and equally as effective as that of the KO2. With this Jeep I was looking for something a little less expensive and these seemed like the perfect choice; very good reviews indicating that of all the compliments I've already paid to them. As far as long term goes, I can't say as I've only had them for about 1k miles. So far I've been very impressed with these tires.

I’m about 12,000 miles into them now. They lose about 1/16” every 5k as measured when I rotate them. This is with mostly highway driving, some gravel and the occasional farm access road. So far, so good.
*30x9.50R15 C Load

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on tires. After much debate I went with the brand new general grabber atx in a 285x75r16. I only have a few miles on them but so far they look and feel great.

View attachment 40513

View attachment 40514
I like mine. They have about 15,000 miles on them and I rotate every 4,000 to 5,000 miles with the spare which is the same. They do well in snow but a word of caution; they hydroplane easily when hitting a large puddle at normal driving speed. Will definitely buy them again.

I had AT2s on my XJ for nearly 50,000 miles, and replaced them with ATXs, which now have around 10,000 miles on them. Lots of dirt roads, long highway trips, desert slickrock, snow, driving up and down between AK and the lower 48, and even a bit of mud. They are an awesome tire at a budget price. They wore evenly too, even with me forgetting to rotate them most of the time. I would absolutely get them again.