New side-interest, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

You're going to stroke out spending so much time on that. My grandfather was waaaay into flight sim back in the late 90s all the way till his death ten years ago. He was getting traffic control audio files to work with the flight sim from the BBS before it was intergraded. His doctor had to remind him to walk around from time to time. :) He would literally fly halfway across the world real time in the sim, log his hours, discuss it on the forums, and earn imaginary achievement awards. Just like the kids do these days.
Yeah I'm tellin' ya, some of the MSFS enthusiasts are NUTSO, they frigging live on it and brag about their logged hours. Some have real pilot's logbooks and to look at them you'd think they were real flights in them. l'm just not there, I am flying it but there are days when I don't touch it. It's fun but I'm definitely remaining sane on its use. It'll be more fun when the grandkids, son, and other start showing up here and start flying it. I'm just trying to figure it out well enough to show them how to use it lol. We're just getting ready for visitors, we're just now getting enough seating for everyone. We did take delivery of a 450 lb. bar yesterday (it does NOT hold all my liquor lol!!!) and a BBQ the day before so we are close to being ready to entertain.

But yeah, they're going to love this toy... it even sounds real but I think I need louder speakers. They're low-level loud but not convincing loud. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ejay
Yeah I'm tellin' ya, some of the MSFS enthusiasts are NUTSO, they frigging live on it and brag about their logged hours. Some have real pilot's logbooks and to look at them you'd think they were real flights in them. l'm just not there, I am flying it but there are days when I don't touch it. It's fun but I'm definitely remaining sane on its use. It'll be more fun when the grandkids, son, and other start showing up here and start flying it. I'm just trying to figure it out well enough to show them how to use it lol. We're just getting ready for visitors, we're just now getting enough seating for everyone. We did take delivery of a 450 lb. bar yesterday (it does NOT hold all my liquor lol!!!) and a BBQ the day before so we are close to being ready to entertain.

But yeah, they're going to love this toy... it even sounds real but I think I need louder speakers. They're low-level loud but not convincing loud. :ROFLMAO:

Light-years ahead, graphically, from earlier versions.

In 'my' F-4 simulator, we had xenon tubes behind the pilot to simulate lightning, a 'seat shaker' to simulate landing and rough air, and a big bell mounted on the bulkhead behind the pilot that went off after a crash so everybody in the neighborhood knew when there was a crash.

Some of the cool things:
If you snap roll with full wing tanks, the wings break off.
You cannot pull out of a dive going over Mach 2.
After an in-flight compressor stall and engine shut down, the restart process has an amazingly high pucker factor.
When landing, if you hit too hard, the altimeter registered negative altitude.
There was no auto-pilot, but there were trim adjustments. That meant you had to fly, work the radios, and navigate. We had chart recorders in the control room to show how far the plane drifted off the desired course due to wind and/or poor navigation. Pilots would argue that they could not be that far off course, but the analog computer doesn't lie.

Best 1970's era game, ever.

@Jerry Bransford

I don't know if you have one or heard of TrackIR, but I used it for DCS and it helped a lot with situational awareness.
When I'm flying in MSFS I'm not worried about situational awareness, I'm just doing it for fun. When I used to actually fly my head was on a constant swivel in & out of the cockpit for great S.I. lol.

Reactions: SirDoopYJ
In 'my' F-4 simulator, we had xenon tubes behind the pilot to simulate lightning, a 'seat shaker' to simulate landing and rough air, and a big bell mounted on the bulkhead behind the pilot that went off after a crash so everybody in the neighborhood knew when there was a crash.

Some of the cool things:
If you snap roll with full wing tanks, the wings break off.
You cannot pull out of a dive going over Mach 2.
After an in-flight compressor stall and engine shut down, the restart process has an amazingly high pucker factor.
When landing, if you hit too hard, the altimeter registered negative altitude.
There was no auto-pilot, but there were trim adjustments. That meant you had to fly, work the radios, and navigate. We had chart recorders in the control room to show how far the plane drifted off the desired course due to wind and/or poor navigation. Pilots would argue that they could not be that far off course, but the analog computer doesn't lie.
Wow, how cool were those ways of keeping the pilots on their toes! Loved the bell on the bulkhead after a crash, I need one of those lol!!! I've toyed with the idea of adding a seat shaker, they can really make things seem more real. You can feel the engine, the tires hitting the runway, etc. I am not planning on one yet but ya never know lol.

Wow, how cool were those ways of keeping the pilots on their toes! Loved the bell on the bulkhead after a crash, I need one of those lol!!! I've toyed with the idea of adding a seat shaker, they can really make things seem more real. You can feel the engine, the tires hitting the runway, etc. I am not planning on one yet but ya never know lol.

My home theater chairs have seat shakers, they are awesome. Highly recommend.

Oh wow, now I'll have to look them up on Amazon. What seat shaker did you install? :D

Mine came in my theater seats when I ordered them so I didn't look at or compare different brands. But these are the ones I have. Makes movies like Ford vs Ferrari, John Wick, Top Gun, Jurassic Park, Star Wars more exciting feeling all the action going on. Just have to make sure whatever you get works with your sound setup.

After convincing my wife it'd be a sure-fire way to keep the grandkids wanting to come over to see us :ROFLMAO: I spent some fairly serious $$$ to get it up and running. WOW! This game/simulator has photo-realistic terrain and aircraft from Cessnas and Piper Cubs to the largest most modern commercial passenger liners and lots of military jet aircraft.

I have a pilot's license but so far I have been crashing more than I have been landing lol. I was flying a Cessna Citation twin-engine business jet and tried to land at Catalina Island (off the SoCal coast) and it did not go well lol. I have it set (at this point) so the aircraft will survive a crash so what happened was pretty funny. I came in from too high of an altitude so I dove at the runway hoping to pull up/flare just before touchdown but nope. I ended up going off the runway and into the bushes, the windshield was showing nothing but big bushes. As an experiment I gave it more power and it started plowing through the bushes until I got to an open area with a dirt road (that actually exists) and tried to follow it in the Citation biz-jet no less lol. I ended up rolling the jet completely upside down on a side-hill and noticed my landing gear was unextended so flipped the lever and sure enough, while watching with the external view mode, the landing gear extended so they were pointing up. I had to laugh.

I used our old 55" TV for the monitor but had to buy a new computer ($$$$$$$) and the flight controls which weren't cheap either. But for an old guy with no more rock crawling expected in his future this isn't such a bad way to go. MSFS is a BIG game/simulator, size-wise, and it took nearly 5 hours to download over my cable modem. It has the entire world (think like Google Earth) so you can literally land at any airport in the world. Its main airports are accurate down to the movement of luggage trucks, other aircraft moving/taking off & landing, and the locations of everything.

It even provides real-time weather so the weather where you're at or land at will have the real weather that is happening there at that time. I made a flight to near Moscow and it was dark there so I saw Moscow at night, it was frigging amazing. Complete with cars driving around below me and boats moving up the rivers.

It's a pretty amazing game so if you have any interest in flying and have a little $$$ to burn, it's a great fun way to waste some time. My wife even likes it because she knows the grandkids will love flying it. Only one is big enough now but it won't be long before the others will get it.

This is a Cessna 172, you should see some of the other cockpits. By the way everything is SO real you can even see the texture in the seating, carpeting, and dashboard cover. You can even get up and "walk" into the rear of the aircraft if it's a bigger airplane like a passenger carrier. All the seats are there and even the magazine racks have magazines in them. They put a lot of work into this to make it as real as possible. Some even install "seat shakers" on their chairs so they can fell the vibration of the runway or the engine(s). Frigging amazing game/simulator.

View attachment 337819

crap an I spent 20k on a golf simulator....

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition