New soft top for my 2006 jeep wrangler

Eastbank

I have to get a new soft top for my 2006 jeep wrangler 65th anniversary edition. I like to know what is the one most highly recommended by you guys. My Jeep color is Jeep Green. Thanks for any opinion.

You want the best of the best? That would be the Bestop Supertop NX Twill.

That is the factory top that Jeep uses from the factory (yes, Bestop supplies Jeep with the factory soft tops). It is hands down the best fitting and highest quality soft top you'll be able to get

You can get it with tinted windows or clear windows.

Reactions: Eastbank
I bought a Smittybilt from Amazon for $250.00 with tinted windows and soft upper door skins that I didn't need, but they came with. The top doesn't leak and it's tight. The windows do seem thinner than the factory top though.

You want the best of the best? That would be the Bestop Supertop NX Twill.

That is the factory top that Jeep uses from the factory (yes, Bestop supplies Jeep with the factory soft tops). It is hands down the best fitting and highest quality soft top you'll be able to get

You can get it with tinted windows or clear windows.
Actually the best of the best is the OEM top. ;)

Bestop is the OE supplier of all Jeep soft tops shipped by the factory, they do indeed make the "best" top. I'd go for Bestop's Sailcloth Replace-a-Top which is the best/longest-lasting, and quietest top available. If you drove in a Jeep with a thinner material top like Smittybilt's and then in one with a Bestop Sailcloth top, you'd immediately notice the reduction in interior noise level on the highway. Make sure it says Sailcloth and you'll like the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: _swede
Actually, I was told that the twill was even thicker (and a step up) from the Sailcloth. Am I wrong?

I believe the twill is also pricier.

Actually, I was told that the twill was even thicker (and a step up) from the Sailcloth. Am I wrong?

I believe the twill is also pricier.
Correct on both counts, that twill fabric is their top of the line. I should have said I would recommend Sailcloth at a minimum with the the twill being an even better choice if $$$ is no object. But make no mistake, choosing the Sailcloth would not be selecting a lower quality top, it was formerly their top-of-the-line fabric until the twill fabric was introduced. New Wranglers come with Sailcloth so that's still saying something for its high quality. :)

Correct on both counts, that twill fabric is their top of the line. I should have said I would recommend Sailcloth at a minimum with the the twill being an even better choice if $$$ is no object. But make no mistake, choosing the Sailcloth would not be selecting a lower quality top, it was formerly their top-of-the-line fabric until the twill fabric was introduced. New Wranglers come with Sailcloth so that's still saying something for its high quality. :)

Yes, that's what I figured. The sailcloth is basically the factory OE replacement top, and the twill is a step-up from that being even thicker, more durable and quieter.

I think we can all agree that if money is no object, the Bestop is the way to go.

There's several others out there such as Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Pavements Ends, etc. But those ones are going to be the same quality as the OE tops.

It all comes down to money and what you want out of it. The Bestop tops will usually last much longer than the others, so in a way you get what you pay for.

There's several others out there such as Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Pavements Ends, etc. But those ones are going to be the same quality as the OE tops.

Those three are to Jeep tops what Smittybilt is to winches. They are not now and never will be the same quality as OE.

It all comes down to money and what you want out of it. The Bestop tops will usually last much longer than the others, so in a way you get what you pay for.

Bestop is the OE supplier. For those that haven't followed the aftermarket offerings, you may have missed that until 2004-2005 or so, all of the Bestop offering required a different door surround and none of their tops could use the OEM ones with the plastic strips that clipped in. That was due to a patent owned by Chrysler and it wasn't until the patent expired that they were able to supply different tops. So while they may have been the OE supplier, they were unable to deliver the same product to the aftermarket due to infringement issues with doing so. That was also evident in the quality of the top in that they could not offer a direct comparison in quality. And why would they? They were already supplying hundreds of thousands of tops to Jeep anyway. Their quality has also suffered since they moved production out of the US.

Reactions: Chris
That's disappointing that Bestop moved their production outside of the US. Not surprising, but disappointing.

Having dealt with their customer service numerous times (recently) I can say that they are very, very good with customer service. I had some parts that arrived bent or broken and they sent me replacement ones free of charge without even asking for the old ones back, photos of the damage or anything. They were also very easy to get ahold of, and thank god, you get to speak with people who use English as their first language.

You do get what you pay for. My $250.00 top don't fit like the original top. My wife wasn't real happy with me when I bought the TJ, so I had to spend as little as possible to cover my jeep before winter set in. HaHa
image.jpeg

You do get what you pay for. My $250.00 top don't fit like the original top. My wife wasn't real happy with me when I bought the TJ, so I had to spend as little as possible to cover my jeep before winter set in. HaHaView attachment 1990

Yep, this is true. The Bestop tops cost quite a bit, but the fit is factory and spot on. Of course I totally understand that often times money is the limiting factor.

I got a Quadratec top and it seems quality I've only had it 9 months. It fits well and doesn't leak my only complaint is that it's louder than the original top and tends to buffet if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's louder than the original top and tends to buffet if that makes sense

This is why I finally ended up just ditching the soft top for the hard top. I couldn't stand how loud it was and how it would buffet like you say, especially at highway speeds. That thing would just inflate like a parachute in the front.

This is why I finally ended up just ditching the soft top for the hard top. I couldn't stand how loud it was and how it would buffet like you say, especially at highway speeds. That thing would just inflate like a parachute in the front.
Exactly it's pretty annoying but I just turn the ac on because it's always hot here and the minimizes it. If I still hear it I play music louder haha

Exactly it's pretty annoying but I just turn the ac on because it's always hot here and the minimizes it. If I still hear it I play music louder haha

It's odd, because my AC never minimized it for some reason. The hard top got rid all of it which is fantastic.

I couldn't stand how loud it was and how it would buffet like you say, especially at highway speeds. That thing would just inflate like a parachute in the front.
That sounds more like an aftermarket soft top, the OE Sailcloth top shouldn't do that. I saw a really cheap top on a TJ a couple weeks ago and its top was thin looking and so inflated it looked like a bubble.

Any top gotta be quieter than the tin top I had on my old CJ5. It was like being inside a 55 gallon drum with someone banging on the sides with a baseball bat. plus I ran headers with glass packs under the rocker panels. Loud, but I loved it.

Reactions: VirtualRussel