New Steinjager crossover steering for my 2001

Orangetj

Got a steinjager crossover steering kit. Took out the pen steering and installed the new steering in under two hours.

4BDA578C-F76C-491B-B61F-7C97E1B1B1EB.jpeg

85694AE5-1352-4DFE-871C-D382CEFF5728.jpeg

What are the benefits to crossover?

As far as a TJ goes with factory width axles, there are no benefits.

In fact, the OP made a big mistake by going with such a garbage steering setup. I know that no one wants to hear they just essentially downgraded their TJ, but in this case that's just what the OP did.

Live and learn!

As far as a TJ goes with factory width axles, there are no benefits.

In fact, the OP made a big mistake by going with such a garbage steering setup. I know that no one wants to hear they just essentially downgraded their TJ, but in this case that's just what the OP did.

Live and learn!
Is there ever a time/ need for a crossover setup?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Is there ever a time/ need for a crossover setup?

Yes, when you go to a wider axle (i.e. RockJock 60) where the knuckle is designed for it.

At that point you're not going to be able to retain the factory Haltenberger style setup.

As far as factory width TJ axles go though, I can't think of any reason whatsoever to switch from Haltenberger to crossover, unless you are simply uninformed and didn't do your research (likely the OPs situation).

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing out that in no way is this an upgrade. Of anything it's just going to cause more issues.

Nice and shiny. What are the benefits to crossover?
In this case, it makes the toe in a bitch to adjust, helps you figure out how to diagnose bump steer easily, increases the likelihood of DW, and makes centering the steering wheel much harder. Oh, if you play in the rocks or where you can run the tie rod into stuff, it makes it very easy to really increase the wear since the angled tie rod bends put a lot of force against the rod end body and ball in the worst direction possible. Other than that, not many downsides.

Oh yeah, I should have said "welcome to the forum".

I'm sorry your first post had to be me criticizing your steering setup :LOL:

Again, I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I was simply letting you know that you made a bad decision. Don't feel bad, I've made more than I'll ever be able to count ;)

The forum already has one. We don't need another.
There are a few here me included who can be assholes at times and we've had more come and go. There's no single person who holds that title, no one deserves to be called that as a permanent title. It comes and goes with many of us here.

There are a few here me included who can be assholes and we've had more come and go. There's no single person who holds that title, no one deserves to be called that as a permanent title. It comes and goes with many of us here.
I'm sad. I work very hard to maintain that title and defending it against all the fucking amateur wannabes isn't as easy as it looks.