New suspension and bushings = one hell of a nice ride!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So, I spent the past several months putting on a new lift (2.5" OME springs with Bilstein 5100 shocks and IRO track bars), new axles (RCV and Revolution), new 33" Duratrac tires, and so much more.

In the process I've replaced every single suspension bushing all the way down to the ball joints and unit bearings. I finally had a chance to take the TJ on a long 400 mile road trip through the mountains (and tons of snow) to Sunriver, Oregon for Thanksgiving. All I can say is WOW!

Even with 33" tires, Currie Currectlync steering, Currie Antirock and a host of other off-road modifications, this thing rides like an absolute dream on the highway. The steering tracks dead on, no death wobble whatsoever, no bump steer and it just rides so smooth and elegant. Sure, it's nothing like my M5 was on the highway, but it's really, really damn good for a Jeep!

Moral of the story is that new suspension and a complete bushing overhaul really do make a huge difference!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Chris- what did that cost you for all those mods (if I can ask)?

What do you guys think of the 3" BDS suspension lift kit with Fox billet shocks, disconnects, and their control arms with one end fixed and the other with adjustable flex ends? Mine is not a Rubicon but an LJ that is getting an Aussie locker up front on the Dana 30 (limited slip already in the Dana 44 rear). I will be going to 33" tires as soon as my 31"s wear down a bit.

I have also looked at the Rock Krawler stuff but no decision yet.

Good road manners are important to me as I drive it from Wisconsin to SW Colorado to hit the trails there.

Chris- what did that cost you for all those mods (if I can ask)?

What do you guys think of the 3" BDS suspension lift kit with Fox billet shocks, disconnects, and their control arms with one end fixed and the other with adjustable flex ends? Mine is not a Rubicon but an LJ that is getting an Aussie locker up front on the Dana 30 (limited slip already in the Dana 44 rear). I will be going to 33" tires as soon as my 31"s wear down a bit.

I have also looked at the Rock Krawler stuff but no decision yet.

Good road manners are important to me as I drive it from Wisconsin to SW Colorado to hit the trails there.

I've put at least 10k worth of mods into the car, probably a lot more though. The suspension lift alone is probably around $2500. Of course Currie is hands down the Ferrari of lift lifts for these rigs.

If you really want the best of the best in terms of off road capability I suggest Currie personally.

I was happy to read this thread. I got a 2000 sport recently with a 4" lift on 33s. My frame of reference is skewed because I've been driving family cars for the last 10yrs, but when I take my jeep on the highway now the ride isn't stellar. It's going into the shop this week to have the rear end worked on, and then I'm planning on working on the front. I'll make sure to replace all the bushings along the way. I'm not looking for a ride like a sedan, but I do have to hit the highway no matter where I go. I'm based in Charlotte, NC and it's an hour highway to the closest "legal" off road trails and at least 2 hours to the mountains which is my normal destination. I'm still getting to know the Jeep, and going through my list of all the fixes/changes I'm planning to make. Knowing there's a few things I can do to make the highway ride a little better, without sacrificing all the things I find so sexy about her (lift, tires, etc.) is really encouraging.

The fun continues.

Reactions: Kevin E
@brianb2, trust me, if the suspension geometry is properly setup and you are running a quality lift with quality shocks, the ride can be very, very good in town and on the highway.

The jeeps that ride like crap are the ones using low quality components, cheap lifts, and often times poor suspension geometry as well as other things that are out of spec such as caster, toe-in, etc.

Thanks @Chris, the guys at the shop said she's in good shape and the lift and the rear axle swap for the Ford 8.8 were done well. Just needs a little love - seals, bearings, bushings, and such. I'm going to try and take a similar route that you described and see what kind of a difference it makes.

Reactions: Chris
It should make a huge difference. I will also add that a good quality shock is going to probably be one of the biggest differences in ride quality also. I've run both Bilstein and Fox shocks personally, but I think the Bilstein is slightly better ride than the Fox, not by much though.

Reactions: brianb2
@Chris did you buy a bushing kit or just order them individually? I've seen sets like this one, and wondering if they're the right way to go.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/...6&cadevice=m&gclid=CLDv_OCr7MoCFc8lgQodjCUEsQ

I pieced it all together individually.

If you want the best ball joints you can get at the best price, get these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTD76GY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are the ones I got. As for the tie rod ends, I purchased a brand new Currie Currectlync which came with all new tie rod ends, drag link etc. The new shocks came with bushings for them as well.

Reactions: brianb2