New tires. Now front end wiggles.

Nathanael Rusciolelli

TJ Enthusiast
I just had a new set of tires installed and balanced on the jeep. The old ones were completely done so the jeep rolls much smoother now at low speeds. However, when I get up to 50 mph or so, I've started to feel the steering wheel wiggle back and forth almost like the tires are unbalanced. The wiggle is definitely coming from the front end. It's not death wobble by any means but I'm wondering why the jeep started doing it just after new tires were installed. Doesn't seem to do it all the time either, it's sort of a moody thing. I wondered about alignment but if I'm correct this should only affect the way the steering pulls. The tires are the same size as the old ones (31x10.5x15) and like I said, they were balanced when they were installed. Any ideas on what I should be checking? Thanks in advance.

If it wasn't doing this before the new tires it's definitely a balance problem. Jeeps are very susceptible to poor balancing and it may take 2 or 3 times for them to get it right. Just keep taking it back.

Make sure they (and you) clean your wheels front and back before balancing them. They won’t do it a lot of the time and it can mess the balance up. I’ve had to have mine done three time since getting new tires.

Huge PITA