New tires: Should I keep the 15x12 wheels or go 15x10?

phasty20

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2001 Wrangler with a 6" lift and 35x15 Super Swampers. I like the looks of the tires and I don't mind the terrible ride quality and excessive noise as this is not a daily driver. However, I purchased this to use as a family-friendly weekend cruiser and for the sake of my wife and kids, I am thinking about swapping the tires our for something a little more subtle.

I am thinking of going with a radial tire (the super swampers are bias ply) in the same size but I have also considered going down to a 33". I am curious of your opinions on how it looks with a 6" lift and only 33's.

The current tires only have about 1,000 miles- what could I expect to sell them for?
The current Bart wheels are 15x12 and I like the looks of them. Should I keep these and mount the new tires on them or sell them and go to a 15x10?

Thanks,
Paul

15x12? Most here will recommend a 15x8 wheel, especially if you'll be wheeling it. You should be able to get a half decent amount for the Swampers though, or possibly do a straight trade with someone looking for that type of tire.

Yes, the current wheels are 15x12 Barts. Not much wheeling here, just a weekend cruiser and I'll be using it for hunting. The area I hunt can get muddy, but not so muddy where a normal on/off road tire can't handle it.

6” lift and 33s will probably look a bit weird, but would mechanically function fine.

Do you know what gear ratio you have? If it’s regeared properly for 35s going to 33s could result in excessive RPM. Is it an auto or manual?

There are a lot of good all-terrain 35” tires that will function well on the road. “Skinny” 35s would probably have better road manners than 12.5 wide 35s.

For 33s or 35s a 15x8 wheel with ~3.75” of backspacing should work fine.

If you move away from the 15" wide tire and go to a 10.5-12.5" than you'll want a 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing wheel as @Steel City 06 stated.

I saw in the photo it appears like you are running dual steering stabilizers? Do you happen to know the details of the lift on the jeep?

Reactions: Steel City 06
It's a manual with 4.10 gears. I do not know any details on the lift. I've always been a muscle car guy and I haven't owned many off road vehicles in the past, so I'm new to this. I can get photos of the suspension and steering if you'd like. I am going to measure the backspacing on the current wheels as well.

It feels like it could be geared lower, which is another plus for going to 33's. No more than I am going to drive it, I don't think it will make much difference either way.

33s would be better as far as gearing goes but a 35x12.5 also isn't terrible from personal experience. A quick search told me your tires weigh about 85lbs while my 35x12.5 MT/Rs weigh roughly 20lbs less each. I would also guess your wheels weigh more since I would doubt they are 15x8's. I would bet shaving all the rolling weight would really help out in the performance department.

If you want to take some photos of the suspension it would be interesting to see what the PO did.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I didn't think about the weight of the tires, but i'm sure these bias ply tires are heavier than some comparable radials.

I agree that regearing is needed to really make it right. I may do that later.

33" tires may look a little funny but would be better gearing wise. Going to a 12.5" wide tire would probably get you a better ride quality and as mentioned above drop your rotating weight a bunch. If you do go to a 12.5 tire look into an 8" wide wheel.

Get some good pictures of your steering from the front, misc. suspension components, etc. and think about starting a build thread. Welcome to the forum.

Just to give you an idea here is a picture or two of my 2002. The lift is 4" suspension and a 1-1.25" body. First picture is with 33x12.5x15 on 8" wheels and the second is 35x12.5x15 on 10". Hopefully they will help give you an idea of what it might look like.

20160723_095846.PNG

DortonJeep02.PNG

When it comes time for gears, I'd use either East Coast Gear Supply in Brier Creek or Jimmy's Affordable Auto off 401 in Fuquay. Both will do a fantastic job.

Ideally, I would prefer a 4" lift and 33's but since I already have the 6" lift, I think the Jeep really needs the 35's to make it look right. Therefore, i'll continue my search for 35" tires.

I like the way the current tires stick out from the fenders. With 8-10" wheels with 3.75" or less backspacing, 35x12.50's should still have an aggressive out-of-the-fender look.

smash_lizard, would you happen to know anyone in the Raleigh area who would be interested in my current wheels and tires? What is the backspacing on your 10" wide wheels?

There are quite a few good all-terrain tires in 35x12.5R15.

BF Goodrich KO2s are popular on this forum. I myself have DuraTracs but I don’t think they make a 35 on a 15” rim

smash_lizard, would you happen to know anyone in the Raleigh area who would be interested in my current wheels and tires? What is the backspacing on your 10" wide wheels?

Off hand I do not. You might try NC4x4 or one of the various facebook groups (probably have better luck selling those angry grills as they seem to mostly be JK folks TBH). Backspacing is 4".

Pretty sure I saw your jeep on 540 in Raleigh today, around Falls of Neuse road.

Will obtain suspension photos and post soon...

The grey shocks make me think it's a zone lift. Do you have spacers above the springs on the rear also? (could be an easy way to lose some height.)

Most noticeable is the dual steering dampeners. The bottom one shouldn't exist... Perhaps the PO had death wobble and masked the issue with the second dampener. Next, it has a dropped pitman arm which should be replaced with stock.

I'm not familiar enough with the tie rod/ drag link to know if it is stock or a zj.