New TJ owner in Portland area

tjforever

Hi everyone,

Recently sold my lifted / locked RWD Ford Transit, I'd build out a living space in it complete with running water, solar power, lifepo4 batteries, diesel heater, etc and basically lived in the van while I flew out 5-6 days a week for work for a year and a half.

Met so many people out on trails in WA and Arizona who all insisted I belonged in a Jeep. I ended up buying a '97 Wrangler Sahara with 139k. Super solid drivetrain, but plenty of issues to work out, including a gnarly pax side water leak. Frame is virtually rust-free and aside from an exhaust leak, I'm pretty happy with it mechanically.

Working on getting it setup for basic national forest camping and exploration. Nothing too crazy, but will likely do a lift for 33s, super 35 kit, and rear air locker. As of now, my interior is all stripped out and I've just fixed the one area of rust I had-- floor pan, was salvageable! Did a double-DIN carplay install and have the typical overland accessories on the way.

Figured I'd say hello before I inevitably start asking questions.

IMG-4405 (1).jpg

IMG-4400.jpg

Projects completed in the first week:
Factory stereo and speakers replaced with carplay system and 8" powered subwoofer.
Liftgate glass lower weather seal replaced and bulb seal added to top of tailgate.
Spark plugs/wires, distributor cap / rotor, air filter replaced. Plugs were in good shape and dry, but gapping was all over and as far out as .055. Dist. cap contacts badly corroded.
Rear seat / belts / mounts removed and sold.
Carpet removed and trashed.
Rust in pax floorboard removed and pan repainted/cleared.
Replaced turn signal switch.
Tire carrier installed (previously had smittybilt tow-rated bumper installed, so I just paid $120 to plop this on). Didn't like the weight of the 31" on the gate.
Passenger weather seal replaced.

Upcoming projects:
Replace steering wheel and clockspring.
Exhaust manifold replacement.
Front bumper and winch.
Roof rack and tent.
Front upper light bar mount (4x pods)
Headlight replacement
Install bedrug and weathertech floor mats
Install CB and firestik.
Install amateur radio handheld station semi-permanently
Build rear drawer cabinet

Last edited:
That Sahara color combo is one of my favorites, very classic!

I recently moved to Arizona from Salem, Oregon myself.

Sounds like it should be a fun project. Just don't end up going down the rabbit hole like so many of us have :LOL:

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome from Tacoma, Washington. The money trap is real and always remember one thing, “ buy once cry once”. I use it all the time to convince my wife to buy parts.

Reactions: Daron