New TJ owner in Portland Oregon

Bill Erickson

Hey guys, I'm Bill.

After decades of thinking about getting a Jeep, I finally broke down a month ago and acquired a nice 2005 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition with the 4.0L engine, 6-speed manual, and 53K miles. No personal pictures yet, but here's a low-rez photo from the craigslist ad.

jeep1.jpg

It's pretty stock, except for a 2 inch lift and 31 inch tires. So far haven't done much to it other than seat covers, floor pads, and Hella Vision Plus halogen conversion headlights (what the heck — I thought the headlights were out the first time I drove at night... ;-)

I've had 4x4 vehicles since my younger and more crazy days when I went hang gliding and needed something to haul the glider up rough logging roads to the top of mountains, but my first taste of something like a jeep was with a Geo Tracker. I called it my "Jeep Lite" and enjoyed the spartan and utilitarian setup of the vehicle, its ability to go anywhere, and the convertible top which was fun to lower on those summer days. When the transmission died in the Tracker I thought about a jeep then, but ended up with a Toyota Rav4, which I've really enjoyed. But when it started leaking oil pretty badly, rather than spend the money to fix it up, decided to scratch that jeep itch.

I don't have any serious off-road plans (although an office-mate is trying to talk me in to it) but will be taking advantage of the 4x4 on rough logging roads to go camping/hiking, winter excursions, and beach trips here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I've already learned a lot about the TJ from this forum, and really appreciate the info provided by Chris, Jerry, and others. I've been reading up mostly about maintenance (making plans to do the 60K maintenance myself — looks pretty doable) and soft tops (gotta get ready for summer ;-) Thanks for all the information and discussion you guys have posted — it's helped me get a handle on this "Jeep Thing". ;-)

Bill.

Another left coaster! Welcome! That is a stunning looking Jeep and a perfect foundation for some serious fun! I too waited a long time to get a Jeep, so I can relate. Keep an eye on CL for used soft tops. They can be found for good deals. I bought mine frame and all for $100 off of CL.

Reactions: StG58
Awesome TJ Bill! Where did you buy it from in Portland?

I'm formerly from Portland (where I was born and raised) but live in Salem, Oregon now. @StG58, @Stinger and a ton of other guys on here are from Oregon as well.

Sounds like you've got a lot planned for it! I'm assuming you're going to take it out to Brown's Camp and the usual off-road spots up here in the PNW?

Reactions: StG58
Hey Bill, nice start indeed! Low miles, looks to be in great shape from what I can see in that photo. With the lift, tires, and engine, you would be set for some time to come. I would wheel it as is for a while, and determine from that what you might want to upgrade. Welcome to the best TJ forum there is.

Does the Rocky Mountain edition come with a Dana 44 rear axle?

There are Mopar replacement soft top kits, hardware and all, but they are pricey. I personally have done the Bestop frame hardware and sailcloth replace-a-tops on several Jeeps, and I was more than happy with the fit, finish, and useage. The version they now offer has the sunrider feature.

Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! It's especially nice to see so many folks here on the West Coast and in the PNW.

Bob: Yes, I'm already keeping an eye on CL for leads on a soft top. Nothing yet (there's a bunch for the 4-door — go figure), but there's a hardtop cart for $40 that I might pick up this weekend.

Chris: I bought the Wrangler from a small dealer in Tigard called Luxury Sport Autos. I guess they initially focused on high-end sports cars, hence the name (they had a lot of BMW's and Mercedes around). They also had a lot of big trucks and SUV's — the Jeep looked a little out-of-place. ;-) No immediate plans to check out Brown's Camp or other off-road spots, although my co-worker has been making some suggestions...

Gary, Michael: Yes, the RME comes with the Dana 44 rear axle, but alas not the Trac-Lok (limited slip differential) — at least not on this vehicle. For what I have in mind for the vehicle (DD, occasional trips to mountains/beach but keeping to "roads" — although they might be a bit rough), this should be fine for now.

Thanks again for the welcome!

@bobthetj03: Yes, I'm already keeping an eye on CL for leads on a soft top. Nothing yet (there's a bunch for the 4-door — go figure), but there's a hardtop cart for $40 that I might pick up this weekend.

NOOOOOO!! Why buy when you can build!!! One 12' 2x4, one 8' 2x4, four casters, and some padding and you've built your own. All joking aside, if you would like the plans let me know.

That's a great looking Jeep!

C16A1554-9775-44D5-918B-E579DE030213.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Just don't sell your hardtop up here in the PNW. I absolutely cherish my hardtop with all the crappy weather we get! I haven't yet used my soft top once, I'll say that much.

Welcome! Nice TJ. Looks like a great find.

If you're looking for trails, check out the regional section of the forum. There's a lot of info there.

Just don't sell your hardtop up here in the PNW. I absolutely cherish my hardtop with all the crappy weather we get! I haven't yet used my soft top once, I'll say that much.

Your soft top will be nice if your ever venture south. Don't sell it.

Russel, nice hardtop cart, but for $40 I think I'll just go ahead and get the CL special...

Hey, no way am I getting rid of that hardtop — that was a requirement during my search! The soft top will be for the 3 weeks of summer we get here in the PNW. ;-)

Spent most of today underneath the jeep. Looks like the prior owner didn't really keep up with maintenance. The oil in the 2 differentials was pretty dirty and I'd only bought a single quart to top them off if they were low. Also discovered while I was down there that I needed some hex sockets to get the fill plugs off the transfer case and transmission. After some on-line research I ran to the auto parts store for an 11mm and 17mm, and when I got back *then* noticed that the transmission needs 14mm for the fill plug. Oh well, at least I got the chassis lubed...

So Chris, you're saying that you don't need the soft top during our brief summers, but just use the Bikini top? I know we don't usually get any rain during the "summer", but what if there's a "surprise" rain storm? During the summer I would generally keep the soft top down, but would want the security of being able to throw it up if needed....

So Chris, you're saying that you don't need the soft top during our brief summers, but just use the Bikini top? I know we don't usually get any rain during the "summer", but what if there's a "surprise" rain storm? During the summer I would generally keep the soft top down, but would want the security of being able to throw it up if needed....
Chris is one of those hardcore 'hard top or no top' types. The Spiderwebshade type top will keep the sun off, and provides a bit of rain deflection, but will not keep you dry in a rainstorm, unless you are moving...

Reactions: Chris

Bill, I've owned my TJ for over two years now in Portland / Salem. I've never once used the soft top, not once.

I use my sun shade (that I linked to above) which is also called a Spiderwebshade. It let's about 20% light through, but won't let the sun roast you and give you massive sunburns like it would without it there (tried that once, big mistake!).

I quickly realized that I'm the type of person where it's either top off and doors off, or hard top on and doors on. There's no in between for me whatsoever.

If I look at the forecast for the day and there's higher than a 20% chance of rain, I leave the top on (I have a hoist in my garage so I can take the top on-or-off in about 5 minutes).

Because of that I've never had a need for the soft top. My sun shade (or bikini top as come call it) is all I ever need for the Summers, honestly.

Other people may be different, but as I said, for me it's either black or white.