New TJ owner with lots of questions

bravo2

Hello, New here from TN. I been wanting a TJ for some time fixed up lifted with bigger tires kind of thing. I had always wanted a strong stout beefed up CJ far as I can remember. Never owned a CJ but I had owned a TJ for 6 months during one winter few years ago and the wife went from liking to hating it. It was a 2000 sahara automatic 4.0L. It was gold did not like the color and it had a hardtop on it. I got rid of it so never got to use it really. It was late fall through winter when I owned it.
Anyway I got some money saved up but not enough to get what I want the way I want it of course isn't that how it goes lol. I figured I would get cheapest thing then fix it how I want it as I go and that I can afford to do. Biggest thing getting one with good sound body and frame. The most I found are avg to high priced. I wanted to get started and can't spend a lot right off but just enough to get into one if its super cheap. The TJ's are starting to pop up in my range now but most pretty rough but some not bad with good bodies and frames it looks like. Most of them are decent are all 4 cylinders and most automatics but couple I found was manuals. They sell quick if decent though here lately.
I could turn a 4 cylinder into a 4.0L and go that route or get a 4.0L but be hard to find and only found two and they was already gone time I got responses. I prefer a manual as I know longer own one and been awhile since having one and like to have one again. I just enjoy driving a manual and always wanted one in a jeep even though not the best choice for trail riding rig but manual what I want and less of them to find lately on the cheap. I would not drive mine as a DD but on still on the roads and trails nothing extreme. Probably more roads then trails.

I did find a 1997 TJ 4x4 that's blue color that I prefer other color would be hunter green. The gun metal blue color I really like. This one is stripped down a bit and it does not have doors, seats but has seat mounts, no top, no motor, no transmission, no transfer case. It has everything else and suppose to be in good shape not rusted up for $1800 from talking to the guy and looking at pics. Now the engine mounts had been setup to take a chevy short block. The guy bought it that way and sat on it for 3 years. It has already been rhino lined in the tub. Says frame is good and axles are stock should be 4.10 gear setup. It sat in barn for 3 years and now has been sitting outside for last two weeks trying to sell it. He bought it that way for project that he decided not to do. So pics I seen was when it got put outside two weeks ago and I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. It has a clean clear title not a salvaged title came from south not up north.

My thoughts were 4.0L is fine and 350 chevy motor would like just don't know of issues common with them in jeeps. I thought it would make it easier since its already stripped down to put what I want in it. I kind of would rather had 350 motor anyway since I was teenager. I had always liked the 350 setups and thought they was cool. I figured at least this way it be cheapest easiest way for me to get into one and set it up how ever I want to. Now could save longer and wait longer. I remember hearing 327 motor setups was good as I heard they do good off road. Now if I got one that had 4 cylinder I probably drive it a bit then switch it over to 4.0L at the least but still might go bigger which would be a chevy motor I'm sure. Now I'm told a 4.3L vortec motor would mount up same as a 350 motor as far as mounts go so that is another possibility I could go also. I don't mind that. Not sure if a lot lighter or not though motor wise. I don't know how there manual 5 speed does strength wise in a jeep. I also was told to look for 88 and up chevy transmission and transfer case to work with in the jeep. I like to go beefy as I can decently and have trouble free transmission and transfer case if possible. On side note I use to own a 96 s10 blazer that had a 4.3L vortec motor and 5 speed manual transmission many years ago and it was a good running motor I had to say. A lot of used take of parts here are reasonable if you shop for TJ jeeps and not hard to get just like the YJ. Sorry the post is long but kind of have to make a decision kind of quickly lol.

I like to know is the body with axles and tires worth $1800.00?
Should I pass on it and keep saving till right one comes a long?
How does the 350/327 do in the jeeps?
What chevy 5 speed manual transmission and transfer case works with 350 motor?
Who has used a 4.3L vortec motor in a TJ jeep and how does it compare to 350 motor or even 4.0L TJ motor?
How good is the 4.3L vortec transmission 5 speed and transfer case that's stock in S10's?
What would you go with setup wise for this build? I'm sure there is a few options.
Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I'll collect my thoughts into a long response. However, I'll lead with this... Welcome to the forum, and what you're talking about here is not going to be some easy bolt-in swap (hopefully you know that already). It's going to require lots of time, money, and skill.

Stay tuned for a longer, more thought out response.

Hard to respond, as your potential engine choices are pretty much all over the map. None of which are an easy task. If you want to drive a TJ before the next 12 months (or more) have passed, find one with everything already in it and running. If you want a huge project in the shop for the foreseeable future, get the TJ with no drivetrain and go to town.

Reactions: DrDmoney
It's hard for us to make a decision on what's best for you but watch out for rust in or on the frame. Here's an example of way too much rust between the skid plate and the frame. Some can look better than this but still have that much rust on the inside.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.07.00 PM (1).png

I think I "stole" this picture from another thread but I think it was posted about buying it from someone else that has never been here.

Any chance you can edit this post to be more readable or post it as a number of different threads?

There's so much going on here that I can't follow your train of thought. It's like bouncing from one thing to the next as it's all over the map as @glwood already pointed out.

I don't mean to sound rude, just saying that it's hard to answer this thread of yours, because it's not really very well organized.

I could not go back and edit it but here is revised version. I wrote it in the am hours while working all night so bare with me.

Hello, New here from TN. I been wanting a TJ for some time fixed up lifted with bigger tires kind of thing. I had always wanted a strong stout beefed up CJ far as I can remember. Never owned a CJ but I had owned a TJ for 6 months during one winter few years ago and the wife went from liking to hating it. It was a 2000 sahara automatic 4.0L. It was gold did not like the color and it had a hardtop on it. I got rid of it so never got to use it really. It was late fall through winter when I owned it.
Anyway I got some money saved up but not enough to get what I want the way I want it of course isn't that how it goes lol. I figured I would get cheapest thing then fix it how I want it as I go and that I can afford to do. Biggest thing getting one with good sound body and frame. The most I found are avg to high priced. I wanted to get started and can't spend a lot right off but just enough to get into one if its super cheap. The TJ's are starting to pop up in my range now but most pretty rough but some not bad with good bodies and frames it looks like. Most of them are decent are all 4 cylinders and most automatics but couple I found was manuals. They sell quick if decent though here lately.
I could turn a 4 cylinder into a 4.0L and go that route or get a 4.0L but be hard to find and only found two and they was already gone time I got responses. I prefer a manual as I know longer own one and been awhile since having one and like to have one again. I just enjoy driving a manual and always wanted one in a jeep even though not the best choice for trail riding rig but manual what I want and less of them to find lately on the cheap. I would not drive mine as a DD but on still on the roads and trails nothing extreme. Probably more roads then trails.
I did find a 1997 TJ 4x4 that's stripped down a bit and it does not have doors, seats but has seat mounts, no top, no motor, no transmission, no transfer case. It has everything else and suppose to be in good shape not rusted up for $1800 from talking to the guy and looking at pics. Now the engine mounts had been setup to take a chevy short block. The guy bought it that way and sat on it for 3 years. It has already been rhino lined in the tub. Says frame is good and axles are stock should be 4.10 gear setup. It sat in barn for 3 years and now has been sitting outside for last two weeks trying to sell it. He bought it that way for project that he decided not to do. So pics that I seen was when it got put outside two weeks ago and I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. It has a clean clear title not a salvaged title came from south not up north.
My thoughts were 4.0L is fine and 350 chevy motor would like just don't know of issues common with them in jeeps. I thought it would make it easier since its already stripped down to put what I want in it also. I kind of would rather had 350 motor anyway since I was teenager. I had always liked the 350 setups and thought they was cool. I figured at least this way it be cheapest easiest way for me to get into one and set it up however I want to.
I remember hearing 327 motor setups was good as I heard they do good off road and they are just shorter deck 350 basically. Now if I got it I could go 350/327 route or I was told a 4.3L vortec would mount up as it has the mounting brackets set up for a 350 block. I would have to get transmission and transfer case also.
Now if I did not go this route then I'm looking at a 4 cylinder and eventually swap it over to 4.0L I guess be next easiest to do? Probably easier then setting up for 350 moter setup? Don't know about all the harness computer stuff if thats a big deal finding what you need cheap enough and making it work. How well does 350 do in jeeps? Issues?
He did say 4.3L would mount up also same mounting setup as 350 motor. He said 350 motor would need 88 and up chevy trans and transfer case. On side note I use to own a 96 s10 blazer that had a 4.3L vortec motor and 5 speed manual transmission many years ago and it was a good running motor I had to say. I wonder how they do in jeeps for those who have them?
I like to know is the body with axles and tires worth $1800.00?
Should I pass on it and keep saving till right one comes a long?
How does the 350/327 do in the jeeps?
Who has used a 4.3L vortec motor in a TJ jeep and how does it compare to 350 motor or even 4.0L TJ motor?
How good is the 4.3L vortec transmission 5 speed and transfer case that's stock in S10's compared to what comes in the TJ's?
If you did the build what would you go with? 4.0L or 4.3L or 350/327?

If I was to put a v8 in a tj I would swap similar to @Indy 5.3/4L60E
I believe they can be found in gm trucks / suvs around the year 2000-2006?

@Chris did a lot of research for v8s a while back and he would be a great source of information as well.

If the jeep for 1800 has a rust free frame / body and you have the skills to add the engine it seems like a steal. You could also find a np231 fairly cheap to throw behind it.

If I was going to put a V8 in a TJ, it would be a LS engine, no question about it. I'd likely opt for the 5.3 and 4L60E combo, which is what I had intended to do with mine. That can be done for a reasonable enough price (about 10-20k depending on how you spec it) and donor vehicles are aplenty, since that engine came in many, many GM / Chevy vehicles.

Reactions: DrDmoney
If I was going to put a V8 in a TJ, it would be a LS engine, no question about it. I'd likely opt for the 5.3 and 4L60E combo, which is what I had intended to do with mine. That can be done for a reasonable enough price (about 10-20k depending on how you spec it) and donor vehicles are aplenty, since that engine came in many, many GM / Chevy vehicles.
I assume that price is new? I would imagine you could save some coin by buying a salvaged vehicle with rear end damage.

You guys are lucky you don't live in a state that hates engine swaps. I would bet indy had to jump through some hoops to get his approved.

I actually found one cheap ls 5.3 with the 4l60e. I think that was the setup but did find both. I was not sure what exactly the 4l60e was and I know I read about it some time back but been awhile. Why would it be 10-20k?

Your thought why you would do this? I assume would have to have wire harness aswell and what else? I had found one close to me last night searching.

I don't how easy or hard it is to add pic but could show pics of the jeep that I'm now going to look at tomorrow as today it did not work out for me. He told me if I did not get it he was parting it out. Now today found 4c 97 jeep all good for 1300 sold I guess before I could get reponse was way letter the guy responded sold. I had found a 79 cj for 1300 with twin stick transmission think 4 speed with 300 dana transfer case and hard top looked ok. It was pending and ad still up but no response and the guy suppose to seen it last Thursday but no response since. I found another one for 3500 but its pending and I cant spend that much wife was not in agreement lol.

Last edited:
I actually found one cheap ls 5.3 with the 4l60e. I think that was the setup but did find both. I was not sure what exactly the 4l60e was and I know I read about it some time back but been awhile. Why would it be 10-20k?

Your thought why you would do this? I assume would have to have wire harness aswell and what else? I had found one close to me last night searching.
If you call advanced adapters they could give you a quote on how much a "package" would be. I recall chris doing the same.

One I found 5.3L LS with 4L60 trans for $1,100 and has 90,000 miles on it.
I found 2001 gm 5.3 with 4x4 4L60E and transfer case for 1,000 but has 190,000 miles on it. Has harness and ecm and accessories. I had found another all the same no ecm or harness well dont know if it does have that and no transfer case for same price but 2wd.
I found another motor and same transmission don't know what else $1300.
There was another that had the "e" at the end trying to find it.
Motors I'm finding from 450-1000 a bit in the 450-800 range.
Most complete motors had 150k to 190k on them.
Found a 4L60E transmission for $500.

4L60 or 4L60E is it a manual or automatic transmission pic makes me think automatic. Be hard to mount up?

What would you pass take a chance and see if I got a 4c manual on the cheap good body and frame or go this route and if body an frame good go this route?

Last edited:
One I found 5.3L LS with 4L60 trans for 1100 and has 90,000 miles on it.
I found 2001 gm 5.3 with 4x4 4L60E and transfer case for 1,000 but has 190,000 miles on it. Has harness and ecm and accessories.
There was another that had the "e" at the end trying to find it.
Motors I'm finding from 450-1000 a bit in the 450-800 range.
Most complete motors had 150k to 190k on them.

4L60 or 4L60E is it a manual or automatic transmission pic makes me think automatic. Be hard to mount up?
@Indy is the man to talk to since that is far beyond my pay grade. From my understanding the E seems to be the one people use for the TJ swap. It is an automatic. For a manual the nv3550 would work. It seems like most also use the np231 as a transfer case.

*I have extremely limited knowledge in this subject and I would fact check everything I said :ROFLMAO:

If you post the question in the general discussion section I'm sure a bunch of knowledgeable people will see it and respond tomorrow.

As mentioned above I would definitely go with 5.3/4L60E combo. It works very well in the Jeep. This combo is better than older 350/TH700 combo.

Having said that, I would highly recommend you getting a Jeep with 4.0 to start with and build it up starting with wheels, tires, appropriate axles for selected tire size, lockers and dialed in suspension. If you still have a BUNCH of money laying around and the Jeep doesn't do what you want it to do, then think about the V8 swap. It will not be cheap even if you don't have to worry about smog inspection.

If you are going to do mainly rock crawling, I'd go with an auto.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I assume that price is new? I would imagine you could save some coin by buying a salvaged vehicle with rear end damage.

You guys are lucky you don't live in a state that hates engine swaps. I would bet indy had to jump through some hoops to get his approved.

Yes, it is. When I spoke with Novak and many others, we all agreed that having a used, lower mile engine isn't a big deal. However, the transmission is a big deal, and if you're going through the work of doing the swap, you ought to put in a new (or rebuilt) transmission, since those don't last forever anyways.

Someone could probably do a V8 swap with a 5.3 for around 8k if they really penny pinched, but it would have lots of minor issues most likely, wouldn't retain things like factory A/C, factory gauge cluster, etc., and would be a half ass job in most cases. To do it right, you're honestly going to spend much more than 10k, and that's if you do it yourself. Paying someone else, you're going to easily spend 20k.

Yes, it is. When I spoke with Novak and many others, we all agreed that having a used, lower mile engine isn't a big deal. However, the transmission is a big deal, and if you're going through the work of doing the swap, you ought to put in a new (or rebuilt) transmission, since those don't last forever anyways.

Someone could probably do a V8 swap with a 5.3 for around 8k if they really penny pinched, but it would have lots of minor issues most likely, wouldn't retain things like factory A/C, factory gauge cluster, etc., and would be a half ass job in most cases. To do it right, you're honestly going to spend much more than 10k, and that's if you do it yourself. Paying someone else, you're going to easily spend 20k.
Seeing how I had a 2006 gmc sierra and the transmission went out at 95k I understand your train of thought.

Reactions: bravo2 and DrDmoney
Seeing how I had a 2006 gmc sierra and the transmission went out at 95k I understand your train of thought.

Yep! And the usual rule of thumb is that most automatic transmissions last about 150-200k before they need rebuilding (sometimes less).

That being said, while you could forego the engine being new / rebuilt, I think it would be silly not to put in a rebuilt transmission when you're doing the swap. I remember one time we did a swap in a VW when we were younger and we converted it from an automatic to a manual. We got a manual transmission from a wrecking yard, installed it, did all the necessary wiring and conversion, only to start it up and find out the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros were blown. Not entirely blown, but it would grind like a SOB when you put it in those two gears.

Lesson learned!

All the good deal ones are bought right at the moment and the next best ones all got rust. Spend little more get a better one. So I'm keeping my eyes open for the right one. Thanks.

Is there difference in a NV 3500 and a NV 3550? I had seen a used NV 3500 reason I asked.