New TJ owner with questions about lift, wheels, and tires

Gibby

Hey i have a 02 Jeep TJ Sahara ,6cylinder automatic trans (totally stock )was looking to give it a lift and was leaning towards the rough country 2.5 inch coil springs and shocks ,am I gonna run into any probs with track bars& transfer case drop /vibration ???also what would be the best recommended wheel and tire setup to throw on this puppy

Reactions: Markymech
Hey i have a 02 Jeep TJ Sahara ,6cylinder automatic trans (totally stock )was looking to give it a lift and was leaning towards the rough country 2.5 inch coil springs and shocks ,am I gonna run into any probs with track bars& transfer case drop /vibration ???also what would be the best recommended wheel and tire setup to throw on this puppy

Like said above, welcome!

I'm no expert but the Rough Country seem to earn their name for ride quality. There are much more knowledgeable peeps on here that can give you the details, just give it a bit. Old Man Emu (OME) seem to have the best reputation as far as lift kits go. That's what I'm going to put on my '97, though just 2".

Tim

Like said above, welcome!

I'm no expert but the Rough Country seem to earn their name for ride quality. There are much more knowledgeable peeps on here that can give you the details, just give it a bit. Old Man Emu (OME) seem to have the best reputation as far as lift kits go. That's what I'm going to put on my '97, though just 2".

Tim

The Old Man Emu (OME) shakes out at about 2.5" of lift and is a great setup. You could save a few bucks and go with OME coils and Rancho RS5000x shocks that are praised heavily here on this forum. An adjustable front trackbar is recommended to center your axle, JKS makes a good one, and you'll want at least a rear track bar relocation bracket in the rear. You'll also want front swaybar quick disconnect links (JKS).

I didn't need to drop my transfer case skid with my rubicon but every Jeep is a little different. If you do, a few washers and longer bolts should take care of any issues.

Reactions: JMT
The Old Man Emu (OME) shakes out at about 2.5" of lift and is a great setup. You could save a few bucks and go with OME coils and Rancho RS5000x shocks that are praised heavily here on this forum. An adjustable front trackbar is recommended to center your axle, JKS makes a good one, and you'll want at least a rear track bar relocation bracket in the rear. You'll also want front swaybar quick disconnect links (JKS).

I didn't need to drop my transfer case skid with my rubicon but every Jeep is a little different. If you do, a few washers and longer bolts should take care of any issues.
Thanks for y’alls input I’ll continue to do my homework and figure out the best setup for me , I’ll also go check out the ome lifts!

Reactions: Artemis

I'm looking at OME coils now, what ones did you go with. I'm looking at the HD ones, can't remember the number of them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had another question, what about the 2 inch coil spring spacers ,whole lot cheaper..... would I be able to get away with my stock shocks and not having to fool with an adjustable track bar ? Probably planning on running 32 11.50 /15x8 really don’t wanna have any probs with fender rubbing,I don’t really plan on 4 wheeling much, mainly just to make it look good

Reactions: KCsTJ
Rough Country is garbage. I would put 2” OME coils on and Rancho RS5000X shocks if you want the best ride quality. Pair that with a 1.25” body lift and you’ll have 3.25” of lift which will clear 32s or 33s nicely and ride great.

Thanks for the advice ,I’m new to this so not smart when it comes to lifts , my jeeps totally stock and I’m on a budget of about 500$ in the lift my goal isn’t to have some great off-roading machine just to get a better looking setup than an ole stock papaws Jeep !

Thanks for the advice ,I’m new to this so not smart when it comes to lifts , my jeeps totally stock and I’m on a budget of about 500$ in the lift my goal isn’t to have some great off-roading machine just to get a better looking setup than an ole stock papaws Jeep !

Sometimes people install a Budget boost, run it like that for awhile that would be a more affordable option.

Budget boost as in the coil spring spacers? And do you have to buy shocks along with the spacers or can I run my stock shocks with say the 2 inch coil spacers ?

Budget boost as in the coil spring spacers? And do you have to buy shocks along with the spacers or can I run my stock shocks with say the 2 inch coil spacers ?
Yes, even with the budget boost (coil spacers), you will need longer shocks. The recommendation for 2" -2.5" springs and Rancho RS5000X will fit into your budget. And you can get a rear track bar relocation bracket to recenter your rear axle instead of an adjustable track bar to save $$. The front doesn't really need an adjustable track bar at 2" - 2.5" of lift.

Yes, even with the budget boost (coil spacers), you will need longer shocks. The recommendation for 2" -2.5" springs and Rancho RS5000X will fit into your budget. And you can get a rear track bar relocation bracket to recenter your rear axle instead of an adjustable track bar to save $$. The front doesn't really need an adjustable track bar at 2" - 2.5" of lift.
Thanks for the help, so do I needa get relocation brackets for front and back track bars or just the rear ?

Do you have to change the rear track bar for a 2 inch lift?

Go ahead and comprehend the chain of events ..lift= bigger tires[cool] =which mean heavier and they now change your gear ratio so to compensate you will need 4:88 gears or you will ruin both your fuel mileage and transmission.

This is real.

Budget accordingly. Plan . Find the right shop and do it as soon as you can .

Reactions: Gibby