New TJ Owner

Dman022

Supporting Member
Hello All,

Excited to be joining the forum. I have been contemplating for years to buy a jeep and finally made the decision to get one. I ended up landing on a 98’ TJ Manual Sahara. Once I test drove it was a no brainer. Had to drive 5 hours to test drive and took the auto transport just in case it was a done deal which it was. This is my first jeep that I have ever owned, been about 2 weeks now with it. It has 33in Baja MTZ with a 4inch lift rough country. Using it on and off as a daily driver so getting used to the handling.

I’ve noticed that on 4th and 5th gear its a little slow to respond and reading on here looks like I need to regear it. From reading into the post I really dont know much but looks like 4.88 is the number that has been used a lot if I keep riding with 33s which I plan on. That’s actually why I joined cause of how knowledgeable everyone one here is and helpful. I am looking forward to learning more about TJs so that one day I can pass along any information I acquire.

I am getting familiarized with these post but thought I’d give it a shot and get some feedback from you all regarding some of my thoughts for the jeep. First thing I want to do is get a tune up since it does have over 200k miles on it. Engine is running strong and smooth but definitely want to maintain it but did not know where to start other than oil, air intake, and fluids.

The other thing I noticed was that the handling is a bit loose on uneven payment it tends to pull roughly to either side. However, on normal streets its strait as an arrow. I don’t really mind it but do feel a bit uneasy as I am afraid of it pulling too hard one day and causing me an accident.

The jeep came with a new rear bumper but was covering the license plate which I ended up improvising and changing it to the spare tire. Ran into the problem that now I don’t have a license plate light so Ill be looking on here what you guys have set up.

One of the reason I like the jeep was that it had the 4inch lift already in place. I‘m not actually not to knowledge about on lifts but from reading looks like rough country is a starting end kit. I want to upgrade to something better to make for a smoother ride but to be honest I am lost to what that even would look like.

Looking forward to learning more from you and happy to be part of the Jeep community

Respectfully,
Diego

E615D2E2-D8DB-401B-9B27-F74169369961.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ2 and Chris
Welcome to the forum! Don't put synthetic oil in it! it'll give you leaks everywhere, speaking from experience! Looks like a nice ride. No rust??

Welcome to the forum! Don't put synthetic oil in it! it'll give you leaks everywhere, speaking from experience! Looks like a nice ride. No rust??

Thank for the feedback.
No actually the frame is in great condition no rust at all.

Welcome and congrats on your TJ. 🍻

The other thing I noticed was that the handling is a bit loose on uneven payment it tends to pull roughly to either side. However, on normal streets its strait as an arrow. I don’t really mind it but do feel a bit uneasy as I am afraid of it pulling too hard one day and causing me an accident.

Start with the easy things. Check your tire pressures and go from there. 33s should be anywhere from 26 to 30 psi max depending on your preference.