New to jeep questions

odren

Supporting Member
Hey all, new to the jeep club. Picked up a 2001 TJ a few days ago. Never owned one before but I've had the itch since forever and so here we are. 2.5L manual 5spd. It is not going to be a daily driver, nor do I have any intention of rock climbing or burying it in the mud really. At worst I'll take it on a backroad or a trail down to the creek with the dog. Mainly I just plan to cruise occasionally when the weather cooperates, top down, radio up, and have the parking advantage at local festivals and tailgating on game day.

Lesson #1
The guy I bought it from threw a set of 285/70R17 tires and rims on it and while its looks cool, it drives like garbage (like it has no power) and 5th gear is basically useless. Getting it home on the interstate was a no go as it barely hit 65 downhill with a tail wind. I've read up on this and its pretty obvious to you all that ±33" wheels on what I am assuming is a stock 4.11 gears is the culprit here. The seller mentioned it wasn't as bad with the other set of tires he threw in the deal, which are smaller but on the OEM rims (gross).

Question 1a - without changing the 4.11's what would be a reasonable tire size without going back to the street tires the SE's came with? Obviously debatable, but I was hoping I could drop down to a 30/31" diameter tire and be ok - as in get some power back and be able to reach highway speed. I'm not opposed to going to 15" rims and just selling this set of 33s on the 17" rims it came with.

Question 1b - Otherwise its in ok shape for its age. It had a remanufactured engine put in about 10k miles ago by a local shop, and the clutch is about a year old. The check engine light was on and I originally thought the power robbery was a fuel/air/vacuum line issue but I'm starting to think not. That said, is there any magical mystery jeep engine issues I should check into or am I wasting my time until I get the tire issue corrected. I'm going to do basic tune up anyway, but I don't want to start chasing diagnostic issues unless I know they're not a byproduct of the power loss caused by the wheels.

Lesson #2
Rubber ducks are a thing apparently and somehow my kids knew this already? Why is this a thing.

Hey all, new to the jeep club. Picked up a 2001 TJ a few days ago. Never owned one before but I've had the itch since forever and so here we are. 2.5L manual 5spd. It is not going to be a daily driver, nor do I have any intention of rock climbing or burying it in the mud really. At worst I'll take it on a backroad or a trail down to the creek with the dog. Mainly I just plan to cruise occasionally when the weather cooperates, top down, radio up, and have the parking advantage at local festivals and tailgating on game day.

Lesson #1
The guy I bought it from threw a set of 285/70R17 tires and rims on it and while its looks cool, it drives like garbage (like it has no power) and 5th gear is basically useless. Getting it home on the interstate was a no go as it barely hit 65 downhill with a tail wind. I've read up on this and its pretty obvious to you all that ±33" wheels on what I am assuming is a stock 4.11 gears is the culprit here. The seller mentioned it wasn't as bad with the other set of tires he threw in the deal, which are smaller but on the OEM rims (gross).

Question 1a - without changing the 4.11's what would be a reasonable tire size without going back to the street tires the SE's came with? Obviously debatable, but I was hoping I could drop down to a 30/31" diameter tire and be ok - as in get some power back and be able to reach highway speed. I'm not opposed to going to 15" rims and just selling this set of 33s on the 17" rims it came with.

Question 1b - Otherwise its in ok shape for its age. It had a remanufactured engine put in about 10k miles ago by a local shop, and the clutch is about a year old. The check engine light was on and I originally thought the power robbery was a fuel/air/vacuum line issue but I'm starting to think not. That said, is there any magical mystery jeep engine issues I should check into or am I wasting my time until I get the tire issue corrected. I'm going to do basic tune up anyway, but I don't want to start chasing diagnostic issues unless I know they're not a byproduct of the power loss caused by the wheels.

Lesson #2
Rubber ducks are a thing apparently and somehow my kids knew this already? Why is this a thing.

Welcome to the world of 4 angry squirrels! Sounds like fun is the order of the day.

Your power problem stems from the 33” tires being too big for the 2.5L and 4.11 gears. Since you don’t want to regear the solution is smaller tires. 31’s look nice on a TJ and can be done stock but benefit from a 1” body lift. They would help “some.” If you have a friend with a set of 31’s it would be ideal to try them out, or maybe a local jeep club member. You can always throw the other tires you have on it to see how it drives.

Check your code by turning the key

On-off-on-off-on then wait and a code or codes will flash where the mileage is (write them down) then it will say done.

It’s unlikely the check engine is due to the power loss. Common issues are exhaust leak, O2 sensors. Whatever it is, check back and get recommendations on parts.

Ducks are controversial around here. I think I read the original story of how it got started one time, but I don’t give a duck.

I believe it was @AndyG that started this mess. :unsure:
1625390500447-2021968692.jpg

Pennywise duck.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, new to the jeep club.
welcome to the forum 🍻
Picked up a 2001 TJ a few days ago.
congrats
Question 1a - without changing the 4.11's what would be a reasonable tire size without going back to the street tires the SE's came with?
31x10.50 all terrain tires on 15" wheels
Lesson #2
the womenfolk think it's "cute"

Reactions: Rickyd
Welcome to the world of 4 angry squirrels! Sounds like fun is the order of the day.

Your power problem stems from the 33” tires being too big for the 2.5L and 4.11 gears. Since you don’t want to regear the solution is smaller tires. 31’s look nice on a TJ and can be done stock but benefit from a 1” body lift. They would help “some.” If you have a friend with a set of 31’s it would be ideal to try them out, or maybe a local jeep club member. You can always throw the other tires you have on it to see how it drives.

On-off-on-off-on then wait and a code or codes will flash where the mileage is (write them down) then it will say done.

It’s unlikely the check engine is due to the power loss. Common issues are exhaust leak, O2 sensors. Whatever it is, check back and get recommendations on parts.

Ducks are controversial around here. I think I read the original story of how it got started one time, but I don’t give a duck.

Thanks!

The seller actually threw in the original 15” rims with 31x10.5 Buckshot Mudders on them as part of the deal since he didn’t need them anymore. I’m thinking of buying Pro Comp 69 Vintage 15x8s and throwing those 31s on them for now because there’s still a lot of life in them. Then I’ll sell off the 17” rims with the 33s still on them and probably break even. I’m hoping the drop in weight and size is enough to get it back to highway speed. Thanks for the reply.

Could not get the codes to pop up with the key trick on the mileage but the parts house was open on Easter for some reason and you nailed it.

IMG_3373.jpeg

Evap leaks- be sure the gas cap is tight, clear the code and run it - if a code pops back it may be the cap and if one stays clear maybe it was ran with the cap loose.

Be persistent.

Evap leaks- be sure the gas cap is tight, clear the code and run it - if a code pops back it may be the cap and if one stays clear maybe it was ran with the cap loose.

Be persistent.

I noticed my gas cap just spins and never actually locks in and removing it is more a matter of lucky alignment so I was going to have to replace it.

I noticed my gas cap just spins and never actually locks in and removing it is more a matter of lucky alignment so I was going to have to replace it.
Yep, replace gas cap. For O2 sensors don’t buy anything but NTK/NGK. All the others suck! If I were you I’d replace all 4 since odds are you’ll just have to replace another one a few months down the road.

Update to an old thread for those interested. Replaced the O2 sensors, gas cap, and the Air Intake Sensor and all the codes seem to have remained cleared with the exception of the Air Intake code. I pick it up tomorrow from the shop and I'll put some miles on it this weekend and see how it does but if there's anything beyond the sensor itself I should be looking for please advise. Thanks!
SG

Reactions: JMT