New to Jeeping, got an LJ

cptwmgn25

Supporting Member
Hi all, I just bought my first Jeep. Its an 06 LJ and I am looking to get it dirty!

I have always liked Jeeps but have been more into sports cars and motorcycles. I had been saving up to get an adventure bike but there wasn't a good solution to get my dog out on the trail with me so I decided that a Jeep would be a better solution. Love the LJ because I wanted the extra storage room to make camping feasible which it didn't seem like it would be with a dog in an JK or TJ but the JKU seem like mall crawlers to me.

I am in the Louisville, KY area and don't have a facebook so I am looking for local groups to become a part of, especially if there is a group for backcountry camping/overlanding.

Also, I am hoping to scour this forum for information on the best upgrades to get. First things on the list are
  • New speakers (I never realized how awful these stock systems were)
  • Rear bumper/tire mount. Previous owners put 33's on but its still on the tailgate so I need to fix that before it becomes an issue
  • Hood latches, these appear to still be original and are dry rotting. Anything that will reduce that flutter would be nice.
  • Secure Interior storage for recovery straps/emergency equipment
  • Any PM items I should do. All the fluids looked new (got it from a dealer)
  • Any good rust prevention - the frame and body are still solid but I want to keep it that way.
If you would like to enable my lazy spirit and link some thread on these I would appreciate it but regardless, I will be wearing out the search function. I am sure a lot of these are answered in stickies that I will find shortly!

6349F934-A82A-4AAC-AC85-F8A96FDB4FAB.png

Welcome. You're in the right place. It is usually suggested to use your jeep first so that you can learn its limitations, if any, for your driving/wheeling style. The point at which it fails to do that, then make changes/mods to overcome that limitation. You may find out it meets/exceeds your use. Stickies under "How Tos" and "Resources" are your friends. Regarding PM, I would change all fluids anyway because you don't know if the right fluids were used and how thorough they were. This establishes a baseline for your future maintenance schedule.

So, what do i suggest? Read, read, read...drive, drive, drive. Only then determine your build direction.

Btw. 33's on stock carrier are not a huge issue if properly snubbed. 😉

Reactions: chad
Great choice on the LJ!

I would highly, highly recommend checking out both the TJ Resources and TJ How-to Guides sections of this site. I've tried to organize (as best I could) the most important TJ related resource threads and how-to guides in those sections, and I think that any new owner will greatly appreciate it.

For sound system upgrades, I suggest checking out this thread: Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

For the tire carrier, I suggest staying away from bumper mounted tire carriers. I've never seen one that I liked. The way to go IMHO is to go with the bumper you like, and then pair it with a MORryde / Exogate body mounted tire carrier, which will carry up to a 37" tire just fine.

For rust prevention, look into Eastman Internal Frame Coating for the inside of the frame, and Fluid Film for the outside of the frame (and everything else).

In terms of preventative maintenance, I would suggest changing the spark plugs, O2 sensors, and overhauling the cooling system (assuming you have no records of these things having been done). See these threads for info on that:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ
What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?
The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: steelhd
I have a stone white 2006 LJ with a 6 speed manual and soft top. I appreciate the side shot as I'm collecting the parts necessary to do a 2" spring lift (that might get me ~2-1/2"). I'll probably add a spacer up front to level it more. Then play with it a while and do a small body lift if I need a little extra space for clearances. This is the place to be, I'm still reading about articulation and how to properly set up the lift while just doing the minor stuff.

I just replaced the speakers and that alone made a huge difference. I packed the bar up top with fill and used a foam speaker backing to direct the front speakers out of the dash.

There are lots of things to keep you busy.