New to Jeeps, looking for a TJ Rubicon

Midwest

TJ Enthusiast
Hello All. Looking for a TJ fun rig. DD is a 3rd gen Tacoma (don't hate me).
Actually going to look at a LJ Rubi tomorrow but I think I prefer the shorter TJ more. I hope to read through all the great info here and make a better purchase decision then upgrade as needed. I thought I'd start with a Rubicon since I'm not planning to dive in too deep. Yet.

More beef in the drive-train I suppose. I don't plan to upgrade much depending on what's already been done. A good size tire, not over the top, and I should be good.

More beef in the drive-train I suppose. I don't plan to upgrade much depending on what's already been done. A good size tire, not over the top, and I should be good.

I have a Rubicon, I know it more intimately than I ought to and I don't know what "more beef" means. :)

Reactions: Bofa-Deez
That might just mean pay a bunch more now and sell it for a bit less later. :)

You may be right. My calculator was broken last night 😁

On the other hand, with all the jeeps I see with frame rot being posted in the "rust opinion" threads, I doubt my well maintained and virtually rust free Rubi will depreciate much unless I roll or wreck it. The trick with buying a Rubicon is not to let the seller know you are gaga for a Rubicon.

Reactions: Midwest
D44s, lockers, 4.10s and resale value

The 4:1 transfer case is also attractive to some buyers.

The only stock rubi feature that is of little value when going to larger tires, IMO, is the 4:10 gear ratio. Yeah, it's better than 3:73 or whatever comes in the other trim levels but if you are going to a larger tire, keeping the 4:10's makes the rig a lot less fun than if you regear to match the tire size.

The 4:1 transfer case is also attractive to some buyers.

The only stock rubi feature that is of little value when going to larger tires, IMO, is the 4:10 gear ratio. Yeah, it's better than 3:73 or whatever comes in the other trim levels but if you are going to a larger tire, keeping the 4:10's makes the rig a lot less fun than if you regear to match the tire size.

The 6 speed tranny is the great equilizer here. I have 33s and no desire to re-gear.

Reactions: JMT
Look for one as close to stock as possible. Avoid paying extra for a jeep that is lifted with cheap parts.

My Jeep is a 04 Ribicon with 33s. It's become a member of the family.

Reactions: Midwest
The 6 speed tranny is the great equilizer here. I have 33s and no desire to re-gear.

I also have the 6 speed tranny. Mine came with 33's and stock 4.10 gearing. I was not at all happy with the performance on the road. Off road, no problem. With 4:56 gears, the Jeep performs noticeably better and I'm much happier.

Reactions: JMT
I also have the 6 speed tranny. Mine came with 33's and stock 4.10 gearing. I was not at all happy with the performance on the road. Off road, no problem. With 4:56 gears, the Jeep performs noticeably better and I'm much happier.

Maybe the fact that I live in South Louisiana has something to do with it. Dense sea level air and the biggest hill I'll climb on a normal basis is a bridge across the bayou. 😁

it's a paradox...Find a pristine STOCK LJ rubi and you shouldn't eff with it at all. Someone out there needs to preserve a fine example.

Or, get some 44" tires and <all that other junk> to make it your own.

Yes. 44" tires. Jump the shark.