New to Jeeps: Looking for lift suggestions

SafariRumbler

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all I’m super new to jeeps, I have some Old Man Emu springs (2) I suppose that would level my Jeep out. I want to piece together a 4” loft utilizing those springs, what do I need? Stock 1997 TJ here.

@Wildman yeah that’s why I thought I’d ask... probably will end up going with a kit but I’m trying to save a little bit of money.

Well first you would need to figure out if the springs you have offer any lift or if they are just replacement springs. If they don't offer any lift then you need to get a kit with springs that offer lift. The link I posted above is a good kit and is a total of 4" between springs and body lift.

Are there any numbers or tags on the springs you have?

Reactions: rasband
@Wildman yeah that’s why I thought I’d ask... probably will end up going with a kit but I’m trying to save a little bit of money.

If you want to use the OME springs you'll want to look up their specific part numbers to figure out exactly what you have and match them up with compatible rear springs... In most cases the OME springs offer about 2.5" lift, combined with a 1.25 BL you are at 3.75" of lift and are able to reuse the stock control arms and fit 33s.

I bought the OME HD kit that came with their Nitrocharger Sport shocks, they ride a bit firm. lots of people here will recommend Rancho 5000x but I don't have any experience with them. I like my Nitrocharger Sports paired with the Antirock.

If you go that route you'll want to get at least a rear track bar bracket and front adjustable track bar to center the axles. This is basically what I run and it gets me through most Midwest trails.

@Wildman Ill go take a picture of the box. I’ll probably end up selling the Ome springs I have and using some of that cash to help pay for a 4” lift. As far as brands I’m not too sure I’ve read good things about zone and TeraFlex.

Yes stay away from TeraFlex. But it all comes down to what you plan to do with the rig. There is a thread in this section from today about Rough Country lifts. A lot is explained about the what's and why's of buying a quality kit or starting with a budget kit. And since you said you wanted a 4" lift the one from DPG isn't a bad choice.

Reactions: 04 LJ
I would suggest selling those springs. They are made for someone who has added a winch and heavy bumper to level the TJ back out.

If you want more lift to run bigger tires larger than 31s I'd look to sell the springs and look at the Zone 4.25 combo kit. It is budget friendly