New to Jeeps: Looking for lift suggestions

Someone also suggested on another forum to do a 2.25 “ spring spacers lift and to do a 1.75 body lift but I don’t think that helps performance at all va the zone 4” combo
That's a thick spring spacer and a little tall for a body lift. I wouldn't do it that way.

Ok so I apologize but let me make sure I’m understanding you guys... then if I get the zone combo I have a body lift and a bigger springs if I ever need more I can put spring spacers or replace the springs. So that’s the advantage of the combo kit basically, flexibility

Ok so I apologize but let me make sure I’m understanding you guys... then if I get the zone combo I have a body lift and a bigger springs if I ever need more I can put spring spacers or replace the springs. So that’s the advantage of the combo kit basically, flexibility

Let's ignore brand names and kits for a moment...

This is my 97 TJ when I first bought it with a 4" lift and 33" tires.

funnyrock.jpg

Then I added a 1.25" body lift and went to 35" tires. I had regeared to 4.88 gears also.

jeepsnow.jpg

And now I am on 38" tires with a HP44 & CRD60 w/5/13 gears.

IMG_2747.jpg

I bought my TJ in 2002. I had owned CJ's & YJ's and XJ's before it.

Reactions: SafariRumbler
I'm just trying to show you how they grow but it take a LONG time.

Listen to what JJVW is saying. Brand isn't the big thing as long as you get quality parts. OME or Zone or both good names. So is Currie or Savvy. You don't want to run more than .5" spacers IMHO and no more than 1.25" body lift.
So the Zone combo kit or the DPG combo kit will do that.

Reactions: jjvw
This is the correct Zone kit.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/zone-offroad-425-combo-ntj-d-j26n.html
But as I said I like the DPG kit better but it all depends on who you are asking and talking with.

And I get being on a budget. If you want to gain some clearance to start with then just get the body lift and motor mount lift. That will give you a little room for your tires. Then when you have more money buy new springs and shocks to get better flex and control.

This is the correct Zone kit.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/zone-offroad-425-combo-ntj-d-j26n.html
But as I said I like the DPG kit better but it all depends on who you are asking and talking with.

And I get being on a budget. If you want to gain some clearance to start with then just get the body lift and motor mount lift. That will give you a little room for your tires. Then when you have more money buy new springs and shocks to get better flex and control.
Sorry again for my ignorance but how does the sway bar disconnects help? The link you sent me looks good I’m just not sure about the difference between the first one I sent.

The key to your long term success is understanding the rear driveshaft angles and how adding lift height quickly screws that up. Of near equal importance is knowing how to extend the bump stops after the addition of larger tires and longer travel shocks. If you can learn how these work, you will be able to build a very capable Jeep.

A "combo lift" is a slightly lower spring lift accompanied by a small body lift and a motor mount lift. Keeping the lift height low helps keep the stock rear drive shaft happy and working within it's limits. The motor mount lift further helps the stock rear drive shaft within it's limits. The small body lift creates a little extra room for larger tires. This is what the Zone 4.25" Combo lift is.

It is a bit of a compromise, but it creates a solid platform to build off of.

Ok I see the difference in links but if someone can explain what a sway bar disconnect does to help that would be helpful for my learning

For a highschooler on 33s max I wouldn't worry about an antirock. Disconnecting your swap bar just helps your jeep to flex off road.

Ok I see the difference in links but if someone can explain what a sway bar disconnect does to help that would be helpful for my learning

The sway bars front and rear make your Jeep stable when driving down the road but when you go off-road you want to disconnect that front bar. The rear doesn't limit articulation enough to worry about it. But you can really tell the difference when the front is disconnected. Or if you add a Ant-Rock.

For a highschooler on 33s max I wouldn't worry about an antirock. Disconnecting your swap bar just helps your jeep to flex off road.

Yes I agree that for him disconnects will be more than enough. I was just trying to explain what the swaybar did and how it all works. I know there was a thread of someone not disconnecting his swaybar not too long ago. And it showed pictures of him lifting a tire on real easy terrain. But I can't find it.

Reactions: A. Paul
With the zone 4.25 since it is a great platform to build off of that helped me understand. In the future I could still add 1” spring spacers or would that be a bad idea. It sounds like I’ll go with the combo kit and put up my OMe springs for sale