New to Jeeps: Looking for lift suggestions

Yes I agree that for him disconnects will be more than enough. I was just trying to explain what the swaybar did and how it all works. I know there was a thread of someone not disconnecting his swaybar not too long ago. And it showed pictures of him lifting a tire on real easy terrain. But I can't find it.
I totally get it now about the disconnects. Jeeps are so fun lol I’ve learned so much working on the small mods I’ve done so far

With the zone 4.25 since it is a great platform to build off of that helped me understand. In the future I could still add 1” spring spacers or would that be a bad idea. It sounds like I’ll go with the combo kit and put up my OMe springs for sale

In theory, yes you could. However at that point your control arms would be at such extreme angles that it would ride like a church pew.

In theory, yes you could. However at that point your control arms would be at such extreme angles that it would ride like a church pew.

The drive shaft would be the immediate problem. The Zone Combo may still need a small transfer case drop.

I'm late to the party, but @SafariRumbler your Jeep as it currently sits is fine for any trail in the Tampa Bay area. You can go right to Croom or Citrus or the larger events Jeeping with Judd, Jeepin for Justice, or Krawlin for the Fallen, or even go to the off-road parks The Jeep Ranch or Hardrock.

What do you mean when you say that you want more flexibility on the road?

I don’t think I meant flexibility on the road. I meant I want a 4” lift basically and needed advice on what to buy because I just want my Jeep higher up on the road.

So did you get a chance to do some reading? Have more questions? Are you beginning to understand what was being said here?

Hey all I’m super new to jeeps, I have some Old Man Emu springs (2) I suppose that would level my Jeep out. I want to piece together a 4” loft utilizing those springs, what do I need? Stock 1997 TJ here.
Hello and welcome to Jeeps! I can’t welcome you to the forum because I myself am new here but I’m not new to Jeeps. I had OME 4” on my WJ and loved it but I have RE 4.5” on my LJ and love it too. Have stock steering stabilizer with 80k on it and have ZERO bump steer. Like other have said, I would steer clear of Teraflex.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to Jeeps! I can’t welcome you to the forum because I myself and new here but I’m not new to Jeeps. I had OME 4” on my WJ and loved it but I have RE 4.5” on my LJ and love it too. Have stock steering stabilizer with 80k on it and have ZERO bump steer. Like other have said, I would steer clear of Teraflex.
Yeah it sounds like I’ll be sticking with the zone 4.25 combo loft kit. I will be selling my old man emu springs to help pay for the kit.

So did you get a chance to do some reading? Have more questions? Are you beginning to understand what was being said here?
I did a lot of reading and totally understand. I will be selling the springs and then when I save enough I will buy the zone combo kit. Thank you for the insight I would not have bought the combo kit without the advice.

Reactions: Serbonze
I did a lot of reading and totally understand. I will be selling the springs and then when I save enough I will buy the zone combo kit. Thank you for the insight I would not have bought the combo kit without the advice.

Read up on bump stop extensions. While you install the kit and before you put the new springs in, take some time and move the axles all around with a floor jack. Watch what happens. Think about where the larger tires and longer shocks will fit (or won't fit) and how to fix that.

This is where the fun details are the can quickly set your build apart from others.

Read up on bump stop extensions. While you install the kit and before you put the new springs in, take some time and move the axles all around with a floor jack. Watch what happens. Think about where the larger tires and longer shocks will fit (or won't fit) and how to fix that.

This is where the fun details are the can quickly set your build apart from others.
Excellent point. Be sure to keep a watch on your control arms unless your new kit comes with new CA’s. The front axle will want to shift back with lift and the rear will want to shift forward due to the control arms not being long enough anymore. You may need to adjust your trac bar as well. Don’t forget about your drive shaft angles as well to avoid vibration and possible damage.

Or you could go long arm and avoid some of the aforementioned.

Good luck!

What’s your reasoning? Just curious. There are 4 or 5 other LJ’s around town and I’m the only SA.

Longer than stock arms has everything to do with geometry corrections after a sizable spring lift. Your typical long arm kit trades one geometry problem for another because the mounts are in the wrong locations. This geometry has nothing to do with ride quality or street driving. Most of what you think you know about long arms is incorrect. Ask those LJ owners to teach you about the instant center.

There is a long arm vs short arm thread here that covers the basics fairly well.

Lol I’m not too keen what y’all are talking about quite yet either the arms. I’ll do the lift and if I have any questions I can always pm one of you guys.