New to Jeeps: Looking for opinion on 4 cylinder models

My 2.5 is used here on Maui, we don't have freeways. Most of my travel is 30 to 50 MPH. It works great here and low range allows pleasant wheeling. It's all in what you need it for. No TJ is a freeway king, just like a cardboard box isn't at freeway speeds. We have lots of YJ's and TJ's here with the 4 banger.
I like the simplicity, I call it a blunt instrument, very easy to maintain and keep running. I get compliments on it wherever I go.

Reactions: talbtimber
I love my little 2.5, it is a manual on 31’s. If it was automatic I may feel differently. The Jeep was purchased as an off-road trail rig primarily and on road driving was secondary.
What kind of upgrades are dancing around in your head, that may help in making your decision.

I had a 2.5 2001 TJ, and I've had 2 4.0 TJs. Right now I have a 2006. The 2.5 is low powered. I find the 4.0 with the automatic trans much better. Really depends on what you expect to do with it. If you plan any freeway driving or much off road, get a 4.0. If you buy a 2.5, you will probably start looking for a 4.0 shortly anyway.

Everyone has given their opinion but I haven’t seen anyone defend highway mannerisms.

I have 2.5 manual 31s 2in lift.

In my 2.5 I have zero problems keeping up on highways up to 80mph. It takes a second to get to that speed but once I’m there I pretty much sit at around 75. Lowest I’m forced to go is 70 in 4th on steep uphills.

I wanted a 4.0 Sahara manual and set aside 7k for one, drove some but too much rust or some other issue came up.

Came across mine and bought it for 3k, find me a stock Jeep as clean as mine was in New England for that price.

If you’re ok with the setbacks much better deals can be had, that said I probably wouldn’t buy one if it wasn’t a discount over a 4.0.

3 replies / feedback regarding buying a 4cyl jeep

1. Don't buy a 4cyl

2. Don't buy a 4cyl

3. Did I mention DON'T BUY A 4 CYL ???

Run Forest run.......................

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
well my wifes 4 banger yj got shittier mileage on the city streets and 2 lane highways than the 4.0, the AX-5 transmission is a POS and will leave you stranded, I drove a 4 banger to Alaska from Utah, it was always at 4-5K rpm's. Oh and climbing a hill will require at least 1 down shift...

Reactions: reddvltj