New (to me) HF sandblaster

Sway bar bushings? They had some rusty nastiness stuck on them.

View attachment 392382

Not anymore! Actually needed higher pressure to do these ~ 80psi

View attachment 392383

Checked the shop vac. There was some media in it but not a whole lot and it looks like mostly fine dust which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

View attachment 392384

Nice job on the mods. I think you are spot on with the bad reviews being from people who just put it together and use as is. These cabinets are great when you seal them up and do little mods as you have shown.

Reactions: Vtx531
These cabinets look great. I haven’t gone down the sandblast route on small parts, I use EvapoRust and any small part, 2 days, rust is 100% gone. Is there a distinct advantage here sandblasting? It feels like a lot more work.

I have wide track axles for my CJ5 that are rusty and I’m going to do a 100% rebuild and get a power washer sandblast attachment, they seem to have good reviews.

Straight sand, for any of y’all in a neighborhood, does this run down a driveway into gutter etc?

Was thinking of doing this in the Spring, Texas flash floods will run it all away, ha.

These cabinets look great. I haven’t gone down the sandblast route on small parts, I use EvapoRust and any small part, 2 days, rust is 100% gone. Is there a distinct advantage here sandblasting? It feels like a lot more work.

I have wide track axles for my CJ5 that are rusty and I’m going to do a 100% rebuild and get a power washer sandblast attachment, they seem to have good reviews.

Straight sand, for any of y’all in a neighborhood, does this run down a driveway into gutter etc?

Was thinking of doing this in the Spring, Texas flash floods will run it all away, ha.

One advantage is that sandblasting etches the surface of the metal and improves paint adhesion.

Hey I know this whole thing is about sand blasting but rust removal with molasses works really good! Yes it is slow but works well and does not require massive compressed air. It is not reasonable for doing frames as I don't think a swimming pool of molasses is a reasonable thing LOL. A pressure washer is dang handy to clean the parts as you go. I recently did all the parts for a Dana 44, brake backing plates, inner Cs etc. They came out looking like I sand blasted them. Took over a week of soaking, maybe two. Still, it's cheap, safe, easy to do and works well. Requires a lot of patience.

Hey I know this whole thing is about sand blasting but rust removal with molasses works really good! Yes it is slow but works well and does not require massive compressed air. It is not reasonable for doing frames as I don't think a swimming pool of molasses is a reasonable thing LOL. A pressure washer is dang handy to clean the parts as you go. I recently did all the parts for a Dana 44, brake backing plates, inner Cs etc. They came out looking like I sand blasted them. Took over a week of soaking, maybe two. Still, it's cheap, safe, easy to do and works well. Requires a lot of patience.

Hey any tips to fight rust are welcome by me!

This blast cabinet is the most fun tool I have bought in a long time. Works sooooo good.

I did my rusty PDC bracket today. Also the rubber hose and clamp for my coolant overflow bottle. Couple thousand more parts to go and I'll have a nice Jeep. :ROFLMAO:

F952694D-80AE-4B3A-A638-F1E5EC455F3E.jpeg

D2534520-4156-40B7-9ADE-2B4D19D7D714.jpeg

Never used one of those power washer attachments but I would probably shovel the wet sand into a pile and trash. I think it will be a lot more than you think.

I tried an evaporust competitor on some bolts, worked okay but not a good tooth for painting and and no instant gratification.

This sandblasting cabinet is wonderful.

Did some OEM foglight brackets:

6C992BE9-8468-4B9E-A052-04B767A59F4E.jpeg

3B4450CF-B114-422A-8C53-DF67ACC94D2A.jpeg

4216EA46-0FB2-4448-A671-66F0ADD16F5E.jpeg

Tried a bumper end that I need to replace. It cleaned it nice. Maybe would look good with some kind of protectant on it or be good for painting. Just wanted to experiment. I did the left half.

03C76751-FBAB-4D61-9013-850037192840.jpeg

I can fit a 15" wheel in there. This was one of a set that somebody painted black. Not sure what kind of paint but it was on there pretty good. I tried using paint stripper on one of the wheels last year and it was a nasty mess. Sandblaster works good though! Better than I would have guessed for syphon. I didn't try to get down to bare metal, just remove the black paint coating since the factory paint is solid enough underneath to paint over top. Hard to see in the photo because of the dustiness and lighting but it works very well and easily gets to bare metal if you go a little slower.

0738948E-9C89-40F5-8DDB-E566736ABBD2.jpeg

Too bad it's winter. I would be going nuts sandblasting and painting stuff but I'm trying not to overdo it in the cold weather.

Last edited: