New to me wheels

bmcgc

TJ Enthusiast
I picked up these 15x8 YJ wheels this morning. They are in pretty good condition. I could rum them as is, scuff them and reclear or paint them gunmetal gray.

Opinions?

30-9.50-15 or 31-10.50-15? I have a 3/4--1.3/4 leveling kit on the way.

yj wheels.jpg

The seller took them off his YJ and advertised them as YJ wheels.

I didn't remember seeing them on YJ's when they were new, but that was 35 years ago.

Definitely TJ, in fact my first LJ had those from the factory.

I painted them black in 2010. I wouldn't do that again in 2023, just not my style anymore.

• USA Proud
Reactions: BlueC and GPK03X
I have a few cans of various colors that I will do a test on.

I used Rustoleum 248927 Steel on my 68 Mustang wheels. It's a shade darker but has quite a bit of sparkle in it. I also have a can of Satin Nickel that may be a possibility.

It's going to be overcast and drizzly all week, so about all I can do is give them a good cleaning and prep.

Reactions: JMT
If you’re planning on stripping off the clear coat, be prepared to invest some time. It doesn’t come off easily.

If you’re planning on stripping off the clear coat, be prepared to invest some time. It doesn’t come off easily.

I have painted wheels with good results.

1. Brake dust cleaner and a good scrub
2. Dawn and a good scrub
3. Pressure washer
4. SOS pad to take the gloss off
5. Sand to take out any imperfections from curb rash or rock chips
6. Normal paint prep
7. Paint away

If I do have to strip the paint off, I use aircraft stripper.

Reactions: AzJeff and JMT
I have painted wheels with good results.

1. Brake dust cleaner and a good scrub
2. Dawn and a good scrub
3. Pressure washer
4. SOS pad to take the gloss off
5. Sand to take out any imperfections from curb rash or rock chips
6. Normal paint prep
7. Paint away

If I do have to strip the paint off, I use aircraft stripper.

You’re totally capable of cleaning up and painting those Ravines. I think they’d look great on your white TJ in a metallic gunmetal.

Reactions: Hog
It does if you use the right products. I used a spray on mine, then the car wash pressure hose. No scrubbing. Worked like a charm.

View attachment 485695

That wasn’t my experience with the canyon wheels. I used the aircraft stripper,pressure washer and plastic scraper. It took many applications with lots of scraping and sanding. I gave up on the idea of polishing and painted them

• Sad
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I started working on them this morning.

The Rustoleum 248927 Steel is nearly a perfect match for the factory finish.

I am going to repaint two of them, touch up the other two and top off with 2k clear.

Reactions: Weasellee and JMT